Sunday 11 August 2013

Weekend long run and no thank-GU...

...not my 1st choice in running fuel.

So last week I did something that I have never done before. I went for a run at lunchtime on a work day...what a new experience. I mapped out a 7 km route and in between rain showers (been a really wet week here in Perth) I dashed out. Despite feeling "heavy" on the run I blitzed it :) 36mins. Amazing the motivation of needing to get back for the afternoon shift in the office can be. Was I productive in the afternoon....hmmm I plead the 5th ;)

On Saturday I had my planned long run of the week and was undecided if I should run 16 or 18kms. Again, woke up on the alarm at 5:15 to the sound of pouring rain. [Now don't get me wrong I don't mind if it starts to rain on me while I am running but I draw the line at actually stepping out into the rain to start the run] I made an executive decision and rolled over for another hour of sleep. 2 hours later my 6 year old came through telling us it was "morning", rain had stopped so I got up and made the wife tea (in bed - hubby of the year nomination here) and the oldest breakfast while I ate a banana (fuelling). Out I raced again between showers for my long run of the week.

About halfway to my turn point I decided that it would be "cool" to run a half marathon every weekend this month! So I had very distracted few kms trying to work out the changes needed to make to my route to make up the additional kms. I have recently been experimenting with fuelling during my run. I wasn't sure if I needed to for a half but I think it is a sensible approach to my running. Until now I have used SHOTZ gels (ok twice) and they have worked for me but I noticed that the next couple of races have GU at the aid stations so I thought I would try one out. Well at 14kms I savored the "wonderful" texture of the gel. Well by 16kms I was having some distinct discomfort, I will admit that I was concerned as I was still (at the shortest point) 3kms from home and the security of the loo (cue more distraction). Well seems it was just a gas build up and lets just say that I was glad to be running alone and the freedom that brings! As if by magic the discomfort was gone but was enough that I have decided I will take my own fuel with me going forward.

And on a happy note as you can see above I succeeded in hitting the 21.1 for the second week in a row....woo hoo! And a personal best time too....I know that as a training run it is not a measured course etc etc but what it tells me is that I can do it. My target for the year is to hit sub 1:55 for a half this year. Also, the inevitable rain showers arrived and I had a refreshing 5 kms in the pouring rain helping to cool me down. It was actually really enjoyable in a strange way and I am sure that many of the motorists that passed had a good laugh at my expense...brought smiles to the world - CHECK.

Well hope you all had good weekends.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment