Wednesday 7 August 2013

The Mental Game...damn you brain!


When I started typing this post I must have deleted the opening sentence 3 or 4 times…..why?? Mental Games…something that is uniquely personal yet is such a common trend in all of us. So how can I type about it?

"I can’t…I won’t…I shouldn’t…I hurt…I’m tired…sheesh why bother…."

So many other comments that can go on and on. The brain is a difficult and complex beast! The games it plays can unravel the best laid plans and derail the most determined of people.

This month I have three half marathons to run over 4 weekends….this is the peak of my running schedule for the year (and in truth the make or break in my mind towards my commitment to training for the triathlons and Ironman). I know that I have to keep my training up, I need the kms and I really want to get better and faster! I know that I need to get up in the morning and regardless go for a run. So on the Tuesday scheduled run I was up before the alarm and was in the bathroom waking up. I heard the faintest trickle in the downpipe – that was enough for me – back to bed and an extra 30 mins lying there thinking about the run that wasn’t! Ahhh the joy of the brain...one second convincing me that bed is the place to by and the next chastising me for not going for a run in a little light drizzle.

This morning, I decided that regardless of the weather I was getting out there….well it came close AGAIN! I did manage to get out! Before my brain realized what was happening I ambushed it by brushing my teeth and getting my trainers on. I managed a semi decent 8km loosener. The whole run I was complaining to myself that I was tight, slow, heavy, foot-slapping the pavement and on and on. My answer this morning…I turned up the ipod (a lot) to drown out the brain.  It worked a little and for a while. At least it worked enough for me to pass the halfway point and the motivation of “every-step-you-take-is-a-step-closer-to-home” to kick in.

The run was a good one! 5:19 per km over 8kms and a much looser and happier person after it!

The moral of the story for today…get the shoes on…at least it is harder to get back into bed wearing your trainers! 

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment