Tuesday 26 June 2012

Brace for mini-RANT…


Holy cow there are a lot of food adverts around…Maybe it is because (definitely because) I am on this diet I am more conscious of the adverts. TV, radio, paper, internet and bus stops just to name a few.

Last night, driving home, I saw an advert for some new flavour “grain wave” crisp thingie….I didn’t pay much attention to it (I can, however, recall the advert on the bus stop – it was green so I have to assume chive or some such flavour) but further down the road I found myself thinking about crisps…..now I haven’t had a craving for any for most of the month to date but I was right then…

I also heard (several times during prime time radio) adverts for the MacDonald’s (flavours of the Games range)….I found myself thinking about popping through the drive through….again, until now no real cravings but I found myself thinking about the burgers! When I got home it was then a chore to resist the left over couple of pieces of pizza that were in the fridge from the night before (not my dinner please note J)

SIDE RANT : [Drive through – are we that lazy/in a rush that we cannot park and walk up to a counter to ask for this “fast food”…I mean really – you then end up eating in your car, spilling it on yourself, cramming it in with one hand  whilst driving – hmmm spot the hazards here! Sure is “fast food”]

We have been brainwashed, I am sure of it, by the brilliant minds in advertising/marketing. Or maybe it is just me and the junk fuelled life I was leading…I mean, the association of a green packet of crisps with chive flavour, hearing a Macca’s advert and thinking of the “golden arches” and how easy it would be to go through the drive through….my 5 year old already associates MacDonald’s with “Happy Meals” and playgrounds…at FIVE! I mean really – if he has one once a month then it is a lot but it just goes to show how well ingrained they have made themselves in day to day life.

And where is this rant going…nowhere really I just felt the need to get it off my chest. I am not even sure I have been that coherent with it but I do feel better for beating the little keys on my keyboard for a little while. In truth, if this helps me process the desire for junk food or carbs…there may be a few more rants to come…

Thanks for sticking with me this far. Big smiles everyone.

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. I am still surprised at the amount of ads around the place for "bad" food. What happened to all the food pyramid ads and healthy foods - fruit and veggies etc?

    I agree with you on the maccas thing - society has become that lazy that people will wait in a drive through line for 30 minutes instead of go inside to the counter.

    You could be making a meal in that time..I think that is one of my most important lessons on the dukan. It may be easier to order a pizza, but if i cook something at home - it takes the same amount of time(or less) and it is much healthier :)

    Also I can't comment on your blog easily as you don't have the name/URL option, would you please enable it if possible? Sorry to be a pain :)

    Melliee
    ponderosity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Glad to see I am not the only one who feels like this...

      Thanks for the note about the comments. As a complete newbie to Blogging I am sure that there are lots of things that I need to tweak from the default settings. I have updated the comments to be able to be made by "anyone - including anonymous" so hope that corrects things ;)

      Delete
    2. Woot :) I will test it out and celebrate in the ability to post easily.

      I am sure you are defintily not alone...ask Jamie Oliver :p

      Delete