Friday 22 June 2012

Before D Day

Date: 1 January 2012 - arrival of my heaviest [remembered] weight (I have heard that the mind blocks traumatic memories and I am sure that if i tipped the scales more than 135 it would be pretty traumatic so...) 135kgs.

Decisions time....LOOSE SOME WEIGHT! Sounds sooooo easy doesn't it. Just loose some weight. Go on a diet. Burn more calories that you consume. Everything in moderation. Set small goals. Etc etc etc. Wow, if only reading about and knowing all of the catch phrases helped you to loose weight.

Decision made. I will get fit and at the same time loose weight!
Challenges (must have challenges or I will get bored).
  • HBF Run for a Reason - 14kms - MAY
  • Perth City to Surf - Half Marathon - 21.1kms - AUGUST
  • Cape to Cape Bike ride - 240kms over 4 days off road, mountain bike trails - OCTOBER
Running - YUCK. I am not a runner....can you guess. 135kgs trundling along the road is not the prettiest of sights BUT it is something that I will do when I have a challenge to aim for and have paid for it (am a bit of a tight arse you see). So with that in mind, January saw me sign up and pay for all three events...commitment - check!

HOLY COW WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?!?!?
 
Well I have done it now. Committed (or more like I should be committed). So here goes nothing, training and weight loss, hand in hand right. Start the running and the weight will fall off right.

WRONG.

Well, some of it did. Fast forward 6 months, patching commitment to running and suddenly it was the end of May and my baby sister and I are lined up with 21,000 other people for a gentle 14km run around Perth city. I finished the run (1 hour 33 mins) and vowed to be better prepared for the Half Marathon...plus my baby sister beat me - unimpressed!

So 5 months has passed right, training for the run and focused on shedding the pounds right. Well, not really. The HBF run was my final event before the start of the Dukan Diet as up until then I had shed a whole 3 kgs!!!

The reason for waiting until after the HBF run...the fear that no carbs would lead me to be a blubbering wreck incapable of coordinated movements...plus this Dukan thing was going to be a bit of an experiment...or was it.....

I had read about, bought the book and googled "Dukan Diet" so many times over the weeks leading up to (and including) June 1st that I felt I knew all there was to know about this diet and well I was skeptical and thought that "Oh well, I will give "this one" a go and see what happens this time!".

Now before we go on I need to recognize a blog that certainly had me captivated and assisted in convincing me to go forward with this and for that I am grateful.
http://www.marshallbrain.com/dukan-diet.htm  - this blog is fairly old but was a great account of the first two stages of the Dukan Diet.

So May 31st weigh in 130.9kgs. the Dukan website tells me that I need a 6 day attack (2.4 kg loss) followed by 178 days (WHAT!) of cruise (23 kg loss) to achieve the suggested weight of 105.5kgs!

Cool - here goes nothing....

No comments:

Post a Comment