Monday 24 March 2014

Welcome to the newest family member....

Well, at last word I was off on the weekend to look for a new bike.

So the planned day involved a visit to three different bike shops to try out several different bike models.

What actually happened was a lot less involved...

After the traditional post golf breakfast at a family friends (my dad played not me...been so long since I last played I would have to double check which end of the clubs to hold!) we made our way round to the first of the cycle shops on our tour (seriously...could have walked there from breakfast...but didn't - lazy you see!).

Joy of joys they had a bike in my size AND the spec I was after! We had a fairly lengthy chat to the sales guy there. A really nice guy (Ironman 2013 competitor) and with very good customer service and as it turns out a really good read of people (cause he pandered to my ego and love of shiny things and got a little more out of me on the sales side of things!). So after a quick set up on the bike I was sent out on a quick lap to gauge feeling and fit!

A couple of things came out in that initial ride. Firstly, my confidence to "push" it without being clipped in is MUCH lower since I have gotten so used to riding in cleats! Secondly, HOLY COW it was like riding on a cloud! Carbon is GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!! Loved it!

When I arrived back at the shop it took not much more than about 5 mins for me to decide that I was very happy with this bike and we needed to talk packages!

We walked out a lot later with a great deal on both sides. I now have a beautiful new bike, shoes, pedals, helmet and bike fit (and unlimited servicing for 12 months) and they now have a dedicated customer for years to come!
Pretty hey! No name yet (despite the "joke" one the family have given her!)
(Involves the fact that the bank owns most of it for now!)
Despite my comments to the contrary, I decided that after purchasing this beautiful "cloud" I could not in good conscience leave her for the day and ride my old bike in the 80km ride we had scheduled (plus I had already stripped all of the gadgets from the old bike and reinstalled them on the new one...about 30 secs after getting home!)

The ride was fun and was really enjoyable on the new bike. With the ride to the station and the 80km ride itself I was in the saddle for 92.5kms (2:55:58) - average speed 31.5km/hr (nearly at my IM target pace of 33 - 35km/hr).

There was a very intense cross wind for the ride that meant that there wasn't really that much ability to relax, plus with the volumes of people you needed to keep alert to any potential hazards about the place.

I dashed out of the blocks a little too fast and my father managed to reign me in a little by getting me to get my HR into check and pay more attention to that rather than the speedo. I think it was also a ploy so that he could tuck in behind me and enjoy a wall of wind protection for most of the north bound run...

I managed my fuelling pretty well on the ride. I had chopped up nut and oat bars into segments and had planned one segment for every 5kms. I found it hard to chew and swallow without a mouth full of water to assist so will need to think on that more. I did "forget" to eat in the middle section where the wind (and hills) combined to make the experience really special! I did have a gel at about 50kms though and that was welcomed!

I really enjoyed climbing the hills on this bike. I like to think that I am strong on the hills and on this bike it felt really nice and effortless! Dad and I had managed to separate around the mid section but managed to link back up on the run back down the freeway homeward! I had remembered to start eating again for a couple of sections but then with about 10kms to go I ran out of water (about 1.5ltrs for the ride) so on the basis that I would not be able to swallow the oats I stopped eating too. Didn't feel that it was that detrimental with such a short distance to go, need to consider better water usage going forward. I think I need to start a list of some description with all these "going forward" thoughts I need to consider...


Despite "sitting for 80kms" it was nice to sit down (me and I!)
Fair crowd of rides (about 7,000 they mentioned)


















We then headed home and enjoyed a carb replenishment feast pizza party for my eldest who turns 7 tomorrow....where that time has gone I would love to know!

All in all an awesome weekend (albeit a little more expensive than normal ones!).

Thanks for reading and I hope you had a good one too!

No comments:

Post a Comment