Tuesday 4 March 2014

LONG Weekend recap

I am totally starting to get into the swing of things with regards to the mixing up of my training regime. That said I still can’t seem to get a session in on a Saturday. This weekend was a long weekend here in WA and as such the demands of time from a family perspective were up there compared to normal.
Saturday involved a parents v children final game of cricket at the sports club…it was great fun and the children looked like they had a wonderful time sledging their parents and getting to bat and bowl against each other. Needless to say the parents fell short by 5 runs and my 7 year old was very pleased to remind me of this on the way to get his victory ice-cream.

Lazing on the patio
It was also a particularly warm day (first day of Autumn) on Saturday – around about 38degrees. This meant that we took a trip to the beach in the late afternoon for a cool down. This is the same beach that I am planning to start my open water training at and this weekend passed was the first time I was starting to get excited about that prospect.

All that meant Saturday was a bust training wise, unless you count overly dramatic fielding actions and sand castle building…

Totally the motivation levels on Saturday
Sunday…thought about getting up for a long run first thing (even set the alarm – woo hoo). Woke up, turned off the alarm and lie there for about 15 mins justifying the activities for the day and didn’t go for the run! Did however, get a trailer full of top soil and move the entire contents around the garden top dressing my poor neglected lawns (manual labour counts….a little). I then had the pleasure of taking Part 1 to a birthday party at the leisure centre with a pool! Perfect…long swim time. Decided that I would put in a solid hour of unbroken swimming with a goal distance of 3,000m in that time. I made it to 2,600m and was in a sulk for a bit…blamed it on the shoulders from emptying the trailer. Had a lane to myself for the whole hour so that was awesome! On the point of awesome…the guy in the lane next to me had one arm!! He swam lap after lap for about 30mins! What a champion….my excuses were invalid! Picked up Part 1 feeling rather queezy from too much sugar and fizzy drinks and headed home.

Monday – day off day!! Woo hoo….sleep in….ummmm NOT! Dearest wife had her run scheduled so the 5:30 alarm woke us both…all credit to her she was up, dressed and out pretty sharpish…might have had something to do with the fact that we could hear Part 2 on the baby monitor talking to his animals…So I sorted out the boys while she ran and I also set up a “transition” as I wanted to do a BRICK. As I have signed up to this tri in April I wanted to recreate the 20k ride and 5k run to get a benchmark time to work with. 

The ride was ok…I struggled to feel it if I am honest. The time was “ok” but I am sure that I could have done better. Transition…hmmm…needs work. I slipped on some shorts over the riding pants (protecting the innocent was the intention) and changed into a running shirt and trainers and I was away…3 mins – really surprised that it was that long! I took a look at the clock on my swim o the Sunday (tired remember)and saw that  swam 800 in 17mins and gave myself 5mins transition from wet to bike to get an overall time. I then tried to “normalise” the distances for the race distances (see I told you I was an Accountant) and get a benchmark time for the block.

During my ride I was wondering how many hard core Ironmen would have had to unload a trailer full of dirt before a training day (sooking really) and then a bloke in a racing wheelchair went passed me (going the other direction) and my argument became invalid and for the second time I had to concede touché karma touché.

Transition and bike times - have to be 2 mins in there....
So I want to find 2 mins as I really really want to come in under 1hr 30mins!!

Rode to work today so back on schedule there. And true to form, my dad returned from the US on the weekend and has already emailed me today to set up an open water swim on Sunday….no time like the present!

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment