Tuesday 25 February 2014

Back in the swing and a couple of races

I arrived back from the UK last weekend (15/02) and pretty much got right back into the swing of things with regards to training. I wanted to pick things up quickly as I was carrying a little bit of guilt after the lack of activity in the UK.


On the Sunday I headed out for my long run. It was an ok run but the interesting part of it was the fact that a dog adopted me on the run!! Sadly I didn't have my phone with me to catch a shot of it but it was a beautiful looking (and well natured overly friendly) ridgeback cross. No collars or owner in sight!

The course I was running was a 6km loop of a local pond (pretty sure I have mentioned this in previous posts). I met the dog and was adopted about 3km into the track and the pooch followed me for the next 7kms...that was a full loop plus 1km from where we "met". All along the way I am having to apologise to people that it runs up and jumps on and sniffs their dogs etc (it is a fair size dog and so can be a little scary bounding up with tongue hanging out). All the while I am looking for an owner of some description to come along and claim the beast. Well she must have smelled home or a more favourable owner to adopt as she took off into the bush like a flash and was gone from sight in seconds...I looked around and couldn't locate her at all so can only assume she found her way home.

Other training sessions have not been nearly as exciting since...

Monday - hill and stair repeats
Tuesday - swim session (1.2km pyramid)
Wednesday - run (12km)
Thursday - BEEP test...ah an interesting one - not done this before and it was a work thing for "fun". Managed to get to 8.7 before as a starting level so was pleased with that. Fire fighters here in Oz have to attain level 9.6 as a minimum so I want to aim for that fitness level as a target.

Sunday - 2.5km swim (indoors) - unbroken and total time 53mins - not too bad but need to work on my speed.
Monday - stair repeats again (love them!)
Tuesday - rode to work (30kms) and shaved the time to 1hour 2mins - still seeking that 1hour ride!!

OOOHHHHH - I have a new toy!
Woo hoo - all the gear no idea :)
Love it so far. Need to get used to working it in the water as I think I bashed the lane separator a couple of times and so it measured a bit longer than I actually completed. Enjoyed monitoring my HR on the stairs and hill repeats (pretty hectic is all I will say about that!)
 
On the race side of things there is excitement there too!!!
 
March - Bike ride - 130km (ish) - Dad and I are in a freeway cycle. The organised event is 80km and for me it will be a 25km ride to the city and then home so should be a nice 130km ish training ride for the day! Planning on working the fuelling on the ride to see how and what I can do there!
 
April - Triathlon - Pursuit - MY FIRST ONE EVER!!! Woooooooo - I figured that I had better give one or two a go for the beast in December. There will be a second one in April too but am going to sign up for that after this one...yup chicken that's me!
 
May - Run - 12km - organised event through  the city with my wife. Trying not to let her kick my butt!! This is a fun run that takes in some city sights and actually allows us to run through the only tunnel in the city which is novel! Signed the wife and I up from the UK and posted a congrats message to her on Facebook - she was "soooo pleased" with me :)
 
Well that's about it for now. Thanks for reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment