Tuesday 25 February 2014

I'm back baby.....from the UK

Yup – I made it back from the UK (eventually – weather and plane delays)…and got straight back into the routine on the hamster wheel…

This time of year for me (as an Accountant) is a pretty hectic one with financial year budgeting going on as well as the lead up to the end of current financial year preparation going on. That said, life carries on at break neck speed.

The trip to the UK was very good. I met with a large number of friends, past colleagues and family throughout the 2 week trip. I was actually really flattered by the number of people who remembered me and also wanted to make time to catch up. It was a humbling experience.

My Nan had a great birthday and was surrounded by love and good wishes from family and her friends. It was awesome to meet her group of ladies and to feel assured that she has a great support network around her when we are on the other side of the world from her!

On a training note, I did get a couple of runs in. But I will be honest…it would seem that I have acclimatised to the Australian conditions a great deal more than I expected and as such running in the FREEZING wind and rain was put on the back burner and the couple of runs that I completed were more of “for fun!” than with any meaning. It became a holiday and rest period. Once I accepted that fact I was a happier person, knowing that once I got back I would get back into the full swing of activities again.


On one of my runs I decided to track around the town we used to live in and follow an old training route that I used to run when I was training for my marathon when we lived there….a couple of times I needed to get off the pathway due to excess water and run on the grass verges…well I must have looked like a giraffe on ice slipping and sliding my way over the grass…if I had known I would have packed trail shoes for the city run. My hat is off to anyone that gets up in the dark day after day to run in the freezing and wet conditions…give me the dry heat every time!


Everyone was happy that I went for a run....
The two weeks I was away was the longest that I have been away from my family since part 1 was born (nearly 7 years ago now!). I will be honest…I missed them terribly! Skype is a wonderful tool and I utilised it fully with video calls home every day. Although it helped I was still pretty bleak being away from them for so long. Once the party was over I was ready to come home…

In order to get Skype I needed to connect to Wi-Fi wherever I could….all I can say is that it is just as well phones can’t get diseases from multiple partners as I was connecting to all (recognisable) free Wi-Fi connections that I could…..in fact my phone was a regular gigolo.

View from our driveway

Some “excitement” while I was away was a bush fire about 2kms from us (literally across the freeway!). My wife was amazing (which was never in any doubt). IT was the closest we have been to an impact area and she had received a text from the emergency department to prepare to evacuate. She packed bags for her and the boys, got the important paperwork and sorted out what was going on and where they were going! She was a champ and I can only hope I would have been as organised and on the ball as she was!!! Thank-fully the fire tracked south away from our area and was controlled by the fire department. Sadly some homes were lost but no loss of life was reported.

All in all it was a great trip and I am grateful to my wife for holding the fort and allowing me to go away for two weeks without the family but at the same time…nothing beats home and my return was the best!
Looks like I was missed

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment