Thursday 3 April 2014

Having to take a little training hiatus...

So just a few short weeks ago I recall making a comment along the lines that I was starting to "feel fit" and starting to feel the benefits of the hill intervals and riding into the wind paying off.

Also, you may well recall the last post which was the arrival of the newest member of the family...my beautiful new carbon fibre bike.

Sadly, the shiny new bike, wet suit and trainers are going to be hung up for a little while....in fact even the pursuit tri that I am enrolled in this weekend will be my first non-attended event!

Riding to work last Wednesday (26th March) I made a slight miscalculation along the way. The day started much like any other, except that it was not the traditional ride day and I honestly wasn't in the right frame of mind for the ride. My darling wife even tried to convince me into not riding. I, of course, knew better and off I rode.

Despite not "feeling" the ride I was on my new bike and as such when I hit the flat I started to build up speed to get a sprint section going. I was clocking up closer to 30km/hr and moved slightly left to allow a couple of guys going south a bit of (unnecessary (cue miscalculation)) extra room when my front wheel caught the edge of the cycle track and I went into some deep soft sand and in the next instant I was doing a not so graceful forward roll over the top of my bike.

I heard a pop on my over the handle bar travels and was unsure if it was my bike or me. Checked the bike, put the chain back on and all looked fine. Gave myself a once over....not so fine...odd protrusion on my shoulder. I could move my arm so figured it would pop back into place if needed along the way. Proceeded to ride to work. Managed about another 7kms to a friends house before the pain was stepping up and I couldn't take my hand off the bars.

Stopped at a friends place and coincidentally my dad was calling me as I stepped off the bike. After a brief chat and on phone diagnosis my dad picked me up and we were on route to the hospital. Dad kept me talking and distracted for the whole ride to the hospital and also ensured I was drinking fluids.

While waiting for my dad, I spoke to my darling wife...she was mega impressed that I was phoning 40 mins after leaving home and confessed that her first thoughts were no wonder I bought a new bike!! Well, after assuring her I was ok and there was nothing to worry about I told her I was going to hospital. Well she was not impressed....to say the least!!! Hee hee hee.....

Hospital was great. After a very short wait (about 3 mins) I was in the emergency department on route to x-ray. The x-ray confirmed what we all could see...dislocated AC joint (collarbone deviated (out of place)....by 2.3cms!).
Whoops....
Support crew - hospital
Well, my dad was awesome as until my wife arrived he sat in his car (guarding my bike) and working from his car. Once the support crew shift change occurred he was able to take my bike back to his house and get on to work. Worth pointing out that my mom had been through several protests/debates about coming to the hospital but was convinced otherwise by my dad and I and by this point had been on the phone about 3 times.
Support crew - home

A follow up appointment revealed the need for surgery. Oh joy. Apparently there is no point doing anything by half and I managed to tear three tendons from my collarbone and the only fix would be the installation of a plate to pull things back into place.

We were told to get to the hospital for day surgery at 7:30 on Saturday morning. We arrived at 7 only to be told that the whole place was closed until 8!!! WTF. Anyway, after a wait I was taken to the ward at 9. I had the pleasure of waiting....waiting and waiting some more until 13:35. At that time I was taken to pre-op. At this time I checked with the nurse if home that night was still an option....NOPE. Call to the wife required, plan changes put into place. While lying on the pre-op bed I noticed a wall of photos on a pin board. They were all of dogs, cats, rabbits, horses etc....believe it or not, I actually checked with the nurse that I hadn't been bought to the vets!!!
No arrow...no op. Inspirational!
1hr 30mins later I was back in the ward and happy off the morphine they had given me. Operation has been deemed a success. 3 pins and a plate installed in my shoulder. My folks came to see me. I was ok...I think...they shaved all three chest hairs that I did have before the tumble.
Fixed!??!

I do have to smile as a common question I get asked at the moment is if it is painful.....I manage to suppress my desire to go "DDDDDUUUUUUURRRRRRRR!!!!!" and smile innocently and say, yes, a little...

The frustration is that I find it REALLY difficult to get into a comfortable position and about 3 seconds after I seem to find a spot I need to move and the search begins all over again!!!

I am really not enjoying not being able to exercise...never thought I would hear those words come from my mouth. I keep asking my wife to swerve the car and drive over random cyclists and runners that I look at with envy...she is yet to comply...damn woman!

Overall, I am in a sling for 6 weeks and have some small physio based exercises to do. Word is (and this I need to confirm as the logic astounds me) that at 3 months they take the plate and screws out!!!! so will be back to sling, rehab, physio and some pain etc... This requires further investigation.

At the moment I am keeping positive that 3 months time will be 5 months of INTENSE training for my December 7th Ironman. I have not given up hope on that yet! On the flipside, my blogging just took a new twist and will be going on for a bit longer now ;)

Thanks for reading and happy, safe trainings!

4 comments:

  1. BUmmer, sorry for the injury, but glad it wasnlt soemthing more major! Hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Ford. Honestly, I am grateful for the fact that it was only my shoulder and also only me involved...would not like to think I had hurt someone else.

      Delete
  2. ahhh man ouch! Sorry that this is my first post to read on your blog! Hope things are recovering quickly for you. I know how frustrating it is to wait around for the body to get back to regular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steena,

      Thanks for the comment and welcome.

      A bit of a bummer but I guess it is going to be a chance to regroup and refocus on the goals...looking for the positives :)

      Thnaks for reading!

      Delete