Thursday 24 April 2014

Turning a corner....4 weeks in...

Here we are at 4 weeks

·         post wingless flight and crash landing

·         almost post op (this weekend)

·         exercise-less (sorry but walking son to school doesn’t count…despite getting a sweat on)

We are also 4 days post Easter and there is still chocolate in the house!!!!!

Surely this is cause for celebration; my desire to eat everything in sight has slightly diminished…that and the fact that my wife is semi rationing my chocolate intake. Plus she is real good at piling on the guilt when I pop back to the sweet box for a third second time. Tusking and tutting and questioning the need….I mean is it really much of a surprise that I end up trying to sneak treats when she is not looking J

That said I feel that the fact that there is still chocolate eggs in the house is a victory. And further evidence in the photo below!

See willpower (of a flea!)
So what else has been going on?

It is a bit hard to type about training since there has been none! My shoulder is on the mend. I am getting good movement in it and have no soreness or stiffness in the elbow and rotator cuff. I saw my physio last night and once again it was an experience in great customer service! That and I was given a hard time for being such a dork and falling off my bike….ahhh joys!

I have been given a set of new exercises to test my shoulder a little bit more and to stop/limit me from favouring my shoulder with body movement rather than joint movement. 4 weeks ago I would have laughed at the calibre of activities (and 1kg hand weight!), last night and this morning I found myself cursing, groaning and muttering all sorts of things at the reflection that was grimacing back at me from the bathroom mirror (dressed please note!) as I went through the routine. Seriously amazed at how quickly I have lost strength in my arm. I know I have never had the strongest Arnie-esq shoulders but still…..anyway the rebuild continues.

I also got to go to the volunteer briefing for theBusselton 70.3 that is happening in a couple of weeks. I am on the afternoon shift in Transition so will get the teams passing through and also most likely be people collecting their gear. I plan to head down early and watch some of the racing first hand…looking forward to it really! Met with a number of other volunteers and had some really good conversations with them. So interesting to hear of others training, motivation and experiences….and injuries. It seemed like me being in a sling was like an open invitation to compare current and former injuries and war stories…it was fun really!

Sneaky pic pinched off Facebook
Side note…Still haven’t given up hope on my plans of the IM this December. Physio even confirmed that we shouldn’t close that door just yet. Fingers crossed.

One downer is that I suspect I will have my second DNA (did not attend) of the year with the HBF Run for a Reason (May 25th). I only have my consultation with the surgeon on the 15th and am hoping for the all clear to start training again at that time. Even with the best intentions in the world am not sure I would make a 12km run on 9 days training (and there is not really any middle ground with me) so………I will be supporting my amazing wife in her run and really look forward to standing at the finish line cheering her through! Even as it is getting cooler here  this week she has been getting up and going for a run and then coming home and organising three children (yup I am the worst of the set) and still being able to get us out the door on time and fed, washed and looking presentable.

Well that’s the ramblings for now. Thanks for reading and keep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment