Friday 11 April 2014

MISSING : Routine

So here we are coming to the end of week 2 since the grand handlebar somersault. Something that I have realized is that I really miss the structure of training and the routine of day to day life!!!

Apart from the frustration of not really having the use of one of your arms (take it from me - major inconvenience) as well as having to sleep the majority of the time on your back (not sure when we grow out of that ability but I am pretty certain it was a LLLOOONNNGGG time ago for me!), I really miss the structure and framework of training (and even in some tiny way I guess I miss work a little too).
I take all the victories wherever they may be :)
Being signed off work sounds like a great idea hey! I suppose if I was able to do chores (well lets rephrase that...if I was able to procrastinate and avoid chores) it would be much more pleasant. This sitting around is B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!!

The problem with boredom is the hunger that comes with it!! I am not even hungry but can't help finding myself shuffling over to the fridge every time I stand up! It is madness, even when I am standing there looking into the depths for some morsel of goodness (or junk food) that can be eaten straight from the packet or without cooking (no more effort that absolutely necessary!) I know that there is no reason for me being there and then I get distracted by the sight of said morsel and off I go munching away...finish eating and look over at an empty wrapper or some such container...DAMMIT!
Even while I am typing this I am wondering what's for lunch...
On a positive, I have not had a fizzy drink since the beginning of March - win. I have been walking my son to school everyday so have at least been getting a few kms of walking "exercise" a day. My inability to get up and go early in the morning has meant that my wife has returned to running and she is kicking butt with it!!!

I have been doing a fair amount of additional exercises over what the hospital physio gave me and am really pleased with the range of motion that I am getting back. Whilst the discomfort is still there I am able to manage without the pain pills as long as I don't get too enthusiastic with the exercises.

Monday is my first checkup post op and I am hoping for positive news and a return to work and some semblance of structure in my life. I know that I won't be getting back to exercise just yet (hopefully a few more weeks for that all clear (at the six week check)) but it is bound to be a good thing to get away from the fridge/couch/house for a little while at least.

Well thanks for reading and hope that training is going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment