Friday 26 September 2014

Friday = Rest Day - Woo hoo!!!


 
I know I know, I have just started to get back into training and I am already celebrating today being a rest day. In my defence…..[assume appropriately whiney voice] “it hurts and I am tired!”

In all seriousness though I am loving being back into some structured training. It has been a great week. I have enjoyed the variety of multisport training as well as interacting with a new group of people. On some levels I think I am even enjoying having a coach present to dictate the drills and activities. I mean really, what better way to train than to not use your own brain to think up activities?!

Just to finish out the week after my last post, I enjoyed a gym session on Tuesday. The positive take away from the gym sessions at the moment is that the strength is returning to my shoulders….not “awesome Schwarzenegger” shoulders but they are getting a little stronger none the less.

Wednesday was technically a lie in day as the 6am club cycle training is not scheduled to start until next week. Wednesday evening was stairs and hill running. I managed 9 laps of the staircase and one of the hill. To say that I was stuffed at the end of the session is a gross understatement. I would like to say that I gracefully sat down to conduct stretches post run but the truth is I let gravity do ALL most of the work in pulling me to the floor. Stretches did happen but with more focus on remaining on the floor than on the specific stretch.

Thursday, swimming. That was great! Before we got into the actual swimming I was chatting to a couple of people that were at the same running group on Monday. It was really pleasing to hear that everyone pulled up a little sore from the run. Phew, wasn’t just my unfit self that was waddling about on Tuesday….

Back to the swimming, after a brief introduction from our swim coach and being taken through a light warm-up routine we were introduced to the white board and our drills for the evening.

Warm-up, pull buoys, fins, torpedos, bubbles, breathing techniques, sprints and a cool down. Let’s just say that it was an action packed hour! It was great….I really enjoyed it and already have something to work on with regards to my swim style. Apparently I lift my head too far out of the water when breathing?!

On a side note, there were about 6 blokes (out of 13) at training. When everyone stripped off to jump in the pool I felt a little like this poor bloke…..
Nope, it wasn't that I felt under tanned!
Friday, glorious Friday….REST DAY….AAAAHHHHHH!!! And all I have been thinking about (apart from work) is getting myself ready for the BRICK session tomorrow…

Hope you all have a great weekend and safe training if you are out and about.

Thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like that was a pretty good week of training, so take your day and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete