Thursday 18 September 2014

Still here and still moving....just slowly

Yup – shocking, I’ve been a bit slack on the blogging side of life the last couple of weeks.

My bad but I didn’t think that my hacking cough and fever shakes constituted effective training towards my Ironman goal…but given how empty my training schedule looks I may have to assign some cardio benefit to being ill….

Well all that aside, the whole household did come down with a pretty nasty illness that had all four members of the family on the ropes for a few days. Being the biggest member of the household, I of course had the biggest bug and was hit the hardest and therefore require the lion’s share of any sympathy that is being dished out.

Once the bugs had finally left the household I decided that I needed to start getting back into some sort of training/exercise. And for my return activity I chose a leisurely bike ride……back to the scene of the crime. Imagine my disappointment at the following:

1)      How unfit I was on the bike. My cadence was a dead giveaway given how often in the 33k round trip it dropped off to nil…

2)      There was no commemorative plaque marking the spot…if I am really honest, I couldn’t actually recall the exact spot that I fell off…*sigh* #movingon….

It was nice to get on the bike and stretch my legs a little. My confidence is not yet there with regards to the downhill sections nor the cornering but I am certain that as I start to ride more it will return again. I rode the 33k in 1:16:24 (26km/hr) so it is a good bench mark of where I currently am and where I need to move towards. Looking forward to starting to ride to work again now that the weather is improving. Watch this space for how soon I complain about the wind again though.

This week I have mainly been going to the gym and even got out last night for a session of the dreaded stairs and hill run. Given the return to the gym circuit this week I have been living in a constant state of muscle ache. Apparently, I am told it is a “good ache”. Every time I heave myself from my chair, or stretch to get my water bottle my muscles do not really think it is that much of a “good” ache! Plus I am sure that the guys around me in the office are getting a little concerned with the moans, groans and whimpers that involuntarily escape from me each time I move…I am waiting for a shoulder tap from HR any time now….

Totally my mindset at the moment....
Something I am extremely excited about is the fact that this weekend I start formal training with my Tri Club! Today I received the 12 week training schedule and I cannot wait! The plan is geared towards introduction to the club and the sport and runs right up to the first race of the Telstra Series that I have signed up for in December. Without these being famous last words, I am hopeful that you can expect to see a few more regular updates based on the adventures in club training and an overall improvement in my fitness levels over the coming 12 weeks. #braceforbrilliance J

Well, that’s about it for my return to blog posts for now. Hope all is well on your side of the adventures.

Thanks for reading

1 comment: