Tuesday 23 September 2014

Let the training commence….

So Saturday marked my first training session with my tri club. It is an introduction to both the club and to triathlons in general.

As this was the first Saturday of the 12 week course it was more of an introduction overall but moving forward Saturdays will be BRICK day! COOL (I say that now…we will see!)

To say that I have been excited about starting this course is probably one of the bigger understatements of the year. Coming from a year of self-motivated activity it is nice to have the structure and accountability of group based training. In truth, it is new to me in my adult life (yup – class myself as an adult) to train in a group environment, I think the last time I truly trained in a group was when I was at school….and that was a while ago!

Well the lead up to Saturday’s training was comical. As I mentioned, I was excited, even to the point of my wife pointing out that I was visibly bouncing about getting my gear packed and ready. Getting “ready”….hmmm I am out of practice in what it takes to get ready. I was packing everything up the night before due to the early meeting time we have. Checked the bike, tyres pumped, pump in the car, bike carrier and straps next to the car for quick getaway, running gear in the back pack and cycling gear in the bathroom. I was content all was done and sat down on the couch for a spot of TV before bed when my dearest turned to me and asked if all was done…I scoffed at her assumption that I wouldn’t be. Innocently she asks if I packed my cleats….DAMN IT! Up I jump and get the shoes and stuff them into the bag. Just as well I did cause I had also forgotten my gloves and helmet!! Sheesh….no comment!

First time in AGES I was awake before my alarm (1 min before still counts as before!) and I was up and changed earlier than planned…good start. Bike loaded and out of the house ahead of schedule….run back inside cause I forgot my water bottle!

Needless to say I made it to the meeting point with time to spare! Met with the two cycle coaches there and got to chatting to a couple of other people on the course. It would appear that we have a good mix of newbies and veterans, fit beasts and not so fit beasts. As it was an intro day we just did a couple of bike ride drills to test abilities and a short run. It was more an ice breaker and introduction to the course that we will be using for our BRICK sessions going forward. The session is conducted conveniently close to a coffee shop and I can see it being frequented a fair bit as the course continues! Must find out if they have a loyalty card program (mother would be proud!)

Monday was run training. Again, an introductory session. New coach and location. Took us through a warm up lap (about 1.5k) and then into some stretches and running drills. After which it was running laps to assess styles and abilities. I am a solid mid pack running in the group that I am in so am actually really happy with that. We will have a time trial in two weeks’ time. This will be my first time trail so am not certain what to fully expect but will embrace it as a chance to get a base line of my fitness.

Random unconnected funny.... :)
Wednesday is going to be cycle training but this only starts next week. Thursday is my swim day. This is probably the session I am most looking forward to. I personally think that this is an area that needs the most assessment having last trained at swimming in primary school (and breast stroke at that!). I understand and appreciate that the swim is really a small part of the day overall but I think that a proper technique will set me up for a strong swim and fresh body for the ride. Time will tell – stay posted for updates here….

Next Thursday (2/10) marks the start of the WA tri season so I am going along to the launch at the TWA HQ. There are two reason for this…firstly, it will be interesting to see what goes on and what it is all about for the year and secondly, there is a ballot for priority entry to the Busselton 70.3 next May. I would like this race to be my intro to the long course side of tris and as such priority entry would be mighty convenient…

Thanks for reading and welcome back to the training journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment