Friday 3 October 2014

A really fast week and something a little bit exciting!

Wow is it me or has this week flown by. It has been fairly manic on all fronts and as they say….time flies when you are having fun!

The “fun” they talk about is pretty broad in its definition!

I have enjoyed another week of pretty solid workouts.

Saturday BRICK session was damp to say the least. We received an email on the Friday telling us all that there was a big weather front blowing through and if we heard rain when we woke up to stay in bed and enjoy a morning off. Well, when I tentatively opened my peepers at 5:30 Saturday morning I held my breath and listened for the tell-tale rattle of the downpipes….alas nothing!

I made my way to training and we had a great time. The weather did hit, and it hit hard but we managed to keep fairly dry and in between the showers we got some great bike skills training in. This week the weather promises to be better and we have been told it will be a formal BRICK session – woo hoo! 
Waves crashing in...and there were swimmers!!
Small puddle after the front blew through

Post training refreshment...much better idea than riding about in puddles.
Monday was a holiday here in Perth (Queens Birthday – I LOVE birthdays so she is on a good wicket as she has a number of different celebration days around the world!) and sadly the weather was again pretty ordinary so we had a fun filled family day instead. I did get a pseudo-workout in as we took the boys to an indoor play centre and I ended up climbing, sliding, slipping and such all over the place. The only time I got nervous was chasing my 2yr old down the twisty slide…. In my mind the headline read “Dopey father cut free from twisty slide at play centre!” and then them having to put up a notice banning parents from the apparatus…

It was great fun, exhausted the boys and was an all over workout…no I didn’t add it to my training schedule J

Tuesday, I hit the gym with my work buddies and had a fairly decent workout. Given that I told the boys that I didn’t want to go too hard as I had swimming that evening and preferred a leg based day we hit the shoulders, chest and core hard! Doh!  Tuesday evening was club swim training. 400mtr time trial after drills was great and I swam a 7:45. This by my calcs is a 1:57 per 100. Before my crash I was swimming an estimated 1:21 per 100 so I am pleased to have a base line and something to work towards. My shoulder is not quite 100% in the water but I am getting there and will continue to work at it.

Wednesday, club bike training. 6am meet up meant a 4:45 alarm….yuck! Training was good and we were introduced to on road group riding and were shown the time trail course that we will be following this coming Wednesday. I am looking forward to that, as much as I enjoyed the group ride I am keen to see what I can do on the bike. In all truth I only realised the other day that I have not been able to properly put “Bucky” through her paces yet.

Funny side note…while we were having our briefing the coach mentioned that some people didn’t have a saddle bag so naturally assumed they had no spares or tools etc and suggested that it gets rectified before the next ride session. I am standing there all smug (inside smug) as I have all my required bits and pieces…that is until I have the realisation that the inner tubes I have are for a different bike….whoops! Well I am happy to say that I purchased a couple of the correct ones at lunch today!

Wednesday night…stairs and hills. I really enjoy this part of my training and so am keen to keep it going. It was a MISSION after the early start but I am hopefully that as I get fitter and more used to the early starts this will get easier. 10 laps of the stairs and 1 lap of the hill = exhaustion!

Thursday I hit the gym with the boys again and we did a mega cardio session which was a great way to get the heart rate up and overcome the afternoon blues! Thursday evening I went along to the launch of the WA Tri Season. It was a good evening with some good speakers and interesting facts about triathlon in WA. It came time for the all important part of the evening… the draw for the priority entry spots for the Busselton 70.3 next May. 50 spots up for grabs and by my rough count about 90 people in the room……cue dramatic music....
 
Ohhhh.....
 …..I got a spot!! SCORE…..dam it just got real again!!!! The priority entry opens a week before the official entry spot opening so the place is mine….ALL MINE!!! Exciting hey!

Woo hoo!!!!! See I said some exciting news!
So based on that little debrief you can see a little bit of why the week seems to have flown passed. With me looking at riding to work on a Tuesday going forward and getting a run in on a Thursday (something that is missing from the schedule at the moment) I think that the gym sessions may be coming to an end on those days. I will see what I can shoe horn into the schedule…I am conscious of trying to cram too much in there and losing some of the enjoyment from this.

Thanks for reading and hope you have a great weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment