Friday 17 October 2014

It’s all about the 1%’ers

It has been a good week of training this week. With some pretty solid workouts being completed. I only missed the Thursday night swim due to club organised seminar on nutrition…more on that shortly.

Following on from the success of the Monday night running session, I managed to make it to and from work in one piece on my bike. Really surprised myself as the ride in was 1hr 5mins and the ride home was 1hr 10mins. Given that I expected (and perceived) a much harder ride home I did not expect to see the times so close together. Will work to improve that this and future weeks…that 1hour mark is in sight!

Roll forward to very early o’clock Wednesday morning and it was interval training on the bikes at Perry Lakes.

6am...I wish!!...More like 4:45!
After the low down on the purpose and benefits of interval training the challenge was laid down. To exceed yourself around the course with an aim to going quicker than the per lap speed from the time trail. For the top five finishers in the time trail (I was 3rd….#bragging!) that meant going at about 7mins for the 3.75km loop (32.14km/hr avg) and then a 2min rest…..repeat….5 times!!! I am pleased to report that we made it on each lap (some much closer than others) and by the end of the session I knew I was in for a L.O.N.G day in the office!!

Wednesday in Perth was an absolute scorcher with the temps hitting around 35 degrees C so when we hit the stairs for the usual Wednesday night session it was still a rather warm 32.2! The session was a great one with me managing to hit the 10laps as per the week before. I will spare you the details but I had to change out of my running shirt before I got into the car…. #sweatybeast

Thursday…as mentioned above, structured swim training was cancelled due to the nutrition seminar that the club hosted. I had planned on hitting the pool afterwards in any case but it ran on longer than expected and I went for a haircut instead…phew mega life choices at play there!

The seminar. This was hosted by a great speaker who was a sub 3hr marathon runner and active triathlete to boot so as he put it “he knew what we were going through”.

His talk was very informative. It was not at all a sort of do this, don’t do that kind of thing. He focused on the 1%’ers. I.e. the small things that you can change with little effect on your life that would make the most difference/impact. Things like switching from full fat milk to half and half or skimmed, cutting out the fizzy drinks, skinny coffees, low fat yoghurt and add your own fruit/honey rather than the sweetened ones. So many things, it is difficult to list and do justice to his talk. The main take-always (no not physical food J but rather for the mind…deep hey!) that I have had from the seminar are below:

1)      There are small changes that you can make that will have overall big changes in your diet.
 
2)      Food is fuel (duh!) but is also to be enjoyed, so eat nice things that you enjoy and it will be easier to eat good things.

3)      Think about what you are putting into yourself and the effects/impact that it will have on you and your training needs.

4)      Balance your inputs with your outputs. If you have a heavy training day then eat to fuel accordingly. This will help prevent a carbohydrate deficit and overall fatigue/run down feeling.

5)      Start refuelling yourself soon after a training session. Don’t go 2 – 3 hours between the end of a session and your next meal. Have a healthy snack in the car if need be.

6)      It is not what you do between Christmas and New Year that you need to worry about, it is what you do between New Year and Christmas that you need to worry about! (took me a couple of reads to get it but that is pretty cool!!)

Not a common treat but the message is constant
 
So based on the above few points and a guide that was put up on the board I wanted to list out the following:

1)      Make a plan:

By my race in December (14th) I will lose the 8kgs that I am currently carrying over my best base weight last year. (or at least drop 1 – 2 trouser sizes…on the basis that muscle weighs too)

2)      Actions required:

Cut out the crap! No more treats with the evening cup of tea!

More consciousness over the fuel that is going in!

To assist with this I am going to keep a dedicated food diary for 1 week. It will be a warts and all diary that will then be reviewed by my dearest and I with a plan to cut the unnecessary or less healthy options.

3)      Changes to be made:

Underway. Have spoken with my ever supportive, understanding and long suffering wife and she has agreed to help me on yet another of my escapades!

4)      Reward:

The weight loss will be reward in itself….whatever!! I will get myself something that I REALLY REALLY want at the time…something sport related no doubt but as I sit here now I can’t think what that might be (ideas welcomed!)

So here we go…hang on for the ride everyone…….


In advance, training this week looks like it is going to be a barrel of laughs…

Saturday BRICK training – HILLS and running
Monday running – HILLS
Tuesday – riding to work – snore…
Wednesday ride training – HILLS
Thursday swim training – HILLS…no only joking but I reckon if they could find a way they would this week…

Have a great one everyone and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment