Thursday 28 August 2014

Ctrl-Alt-Del - time for a reboot


I think there has been a bit of a downer theme in my posts lately. A bit too much self-pity for my liking. Well brace yourself cause all that is about to change!

This weekend marks my third running of the Perth City to Surf Half Marathon. This race holds a special place in my heart.

It was during this race in 2012, with my two siblings, that I had the epiphany that it would be “cool” to run a race in every state and territory in Australia. Once I crossed the finish line that year the 2013challenge was already formed and being planned out in my mind. I only had to seek approval from my ever supportive wife.

What transpired from there was that this overweight “not a runner” type embarking upon a lifestyle change that lead to a number of cool adventures across Australia. This allowed me to expand my comfort zones and meet new and interesting people and see some pretty amazing places from a unique perspective….pavements and roadside verges J. It even marked the changes that have led to my desire to race an Ironman!

2013 City to Surf Perth was not my favourite race of last year by any means. In reality it was close to my worst but deep down, on a sadistic level, I honestly still enjoyed it. For me the race is a very physical anniversary point. It marks a point in time that a change has occurred in mindset, ability (physical and mental) and overall desires.

As I toe the line at the 2014 edition of the race I know that I am certainly not at my fittest and I will not do the course justice BUT I plan on completing the course and having fun along the way! If there is a hand out for a high five it shall be slapped and smiles and waves will be dished out as frequently as possible.

The 2014 race will be my catalyst. It is my return to training. My return to a positive mind set and a can do attitude. And as I summit Underwood Avenue (MAMMOTH HILL – trust me!) I will smile because it is all downhill to the finish it marks another year in the books, another year of moving forward and a start of a new year ahead!

Thanks for reading and happy training.
 

PS: I have noticed a few international views over the past week…please feel free to say hello in the comments – would welcome any thoughts and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment