Monday 4 August 2014

Back in the saddle....literally


What a weekend…given that today is a Monday and my usual Monday mood is something to avoid I can only conclude that the influx of endorphins over the weekend is having a carry-over effect into this week….plus no one has managed to annoy me just yet is an added bonus J.

Why may you ask am I still surfing the endorphin rush?

Run. Yup managed to drag my backside out of bed on Saturday for a run. Ok, it wasn’t as early as I planned the night before. With multiple alarm(s) set for 6:15, I left the house at 7:05 (note to wife – it says so on my Garmin so there!!!). It was pretty crispy with my breath misting before me the entire time. Even once I arrived back home at the end of the run I would have looked like a scene from Gorillas in the Mist with the amount of “steam” rising off me. All in all I was happy with the run. The pace is improving and it was a new track so I was a little slower just to ensure that I didn’t get too lost. Added bonus in that I wouldn’t usually use a gel on such a short run but I wanted to test the Hammer gels that I obtained. Happy to say that the flavour and texture were all good and there were no side effects on the tummy front. Tick there!


Bike. Hold your horses yep I got back on the bike!! 4 months since my flying/sudden stop lesson I was back on the bike. It was a beautiful clear (dry) day on Sunday and so I thought I would capitalise by finally getting the expensive wall art off the garage wall and onto the tarmac. I went all out and put on my lycra…I swear it has shrunk in the wash as there were a few more bulges than before…pumped up the tyres and was off, wobbling my way down the road trying to remember how to clip in the shoes. No sooner than I had clipped in I had to unclip to stop at the end of the road for traffic. Doh! 
Don't remember my head looking sooo large before!
 Achievement 1 – arrive at the bike track unscathed! Done! Once on the bike path I was able to feel the bike (and myself) and check for any lasting effects from the crash. To say I was a little paranoid listening to every little creak and groan (apart from my own) is an understatement (plus I kept a healthy gap between me and the edge of the track for the whole ride!). But after an uneventful first 5km I was happy that all was right with the bike and on I ploughed. Happy with the feeling of “flying” along the path again I arrived at the turnaround before I realised. Once I executed a hairpin turn I realised the reason for the quick arrival at the halfway. Holy Cow the wind was “generous” to say the least! I admit that I had forgotten how “fun” it is riding into a headwind. Suffice to say that my cadence dropped off dramatically in the second half together with a few more freewheel instances whenever possible. Bike fitness – to be re-established and the ride to work is a few weeks off yet!

Once I arrived home the thought of going for a quick run off the bike was considered…..for about a second and was voted down unanimously almost instantly once my bum left the seat…yep not today boys and girls!

Swim. Took my eldest to the pool for a swim. He has been having lessons and wanted to show me some of his moves in the pool! I was mega proud to swim three lengths with him! The first two were awesome but the last 25, he was getting tired and the form slipped a little but hey….he swam 75m unaided!! One proud dad standing there with him!! He then proceeded to be my spotter for my swim. I will admit that I could should probably take pointers from him in technique but as a first foray in the water I was happy with the effort.
I think that the injury will actually improve my swimming in the long run. At the moment I am paying way more attention to my arm movements and overall action. This leads me to think that as I get faster in the water again the muscle memory will mean that I should hopefully retain the improved form…win win.

Oh…and yet ANOTHER reason for the endorphin high….I mowed the lawns and swept the back patio...#pauseforapplause#... :p

Thanks for reading and happy training

1 comment:

  1. Man, that is a busy weekend! Wore me out reaidng it!

    ReplyDelete