Tuesday 29 July 2014

Normal service starting to resume

It is really wonderful to now be enjoying the freedom that has come with the removal of the plate from my shoulder. I can nearly extend my arm and touch the ceiling again (without holding my breath – wife!)

One of the things that have surprised me most through this all is how quickly my fitness has faded and the amount of strength lost in the shoulder. One thing that hasn’t surprised me (rather disappointed me) is how quickly I have slipped out of the early morning habit.

That said I am starting to get back into the habit and “normal” service is starting to resume.

As I mentioned in my last post I have signed up to the Perth City to Surf Half Marathon which is being held on August 31st. I have done this in order to kick start the training and dedication process that I need to retrain myself back into. After a final weekend of idleness I have launched into this week with the best intentions.

Monday marked a return to the stairs!! Not much to say about the stairs that a few photos wouldn’t do better justice too! Needless to say that the claves are suitably sensitive today!


The stairs
Lap of the oval - with sunset (ahhhh)
Use the bins for reference of steepness
View from the top of the hill (ahhhhh....collapse)
I intend to make this a regular Monday event as I think that I am able to get considerable benefit from the hard core cardio and high intensity that this workout is done at. Sadly, 5 months ago we were managing 10 – 12 laps of the stairs and yesterday I managed 5…baby steps and return service.

Tuesday (today) I hit the gym for a quick session. Concentrated on arms and chest. Looking at extending and strengthening the shoulders and associated muscles. Really pleased that I managed to get some decent planks in with a 60 sec, 90 sec and then 80 sec sets in…been a while since I could put that kind of weight on the shoulder!

Nope...not me in the top photo!
Tomorrow (Wednesday) is a planned run. Will aim to improve upon the 7 km that I managed last week. My darling wife managed to get up and out for her run this morning so I cannot let her have the satisfaction of me not getting out for mine tomorrow…will never live it down! Plus it is on the interweb now so it has to happen right….

Change the times to 5:30 and it is pretty close to reality!!!

Thanks for reading and happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment