Tuesday 22 July 2014

Plate-less and back on the wagon...

One week ago today they removed the plate from my shoulder! Despite my pleading I was not allowed to get MY plate from them! Seriously, it was mine for the last 4 months so why not?!?!
The movement, now that the restriction of the hook plate is gone, is wonderful. It is pain free and whilst is not yet at the same level of movement as before, it is greatly improved. It has also gotten better over the past 7 days and I will continue to work on it to improve it further as time progresses! I can nearly touch the ceiling again and that pesky blown light bulb’s days are numbered!!

Pre-op fashions
The operation went well (and really very quickly according to the experts). The surgeon confirmed to me that he was happy with what he saw and that all went well.

“Funny” side note…while I was lying on the operating table the team were talking around me. The surgeon quips “This shouldn’t take long” and one of the others says “Thanks…famous last words!” To which he replies…”Well it shouldn’t assuming we don’t break a screw!” At which point I pointed out that I was still awake and could hear all of this and my heart rate would be showing the same….ha ha ha….the laughs we had!! *Sigh *

Post op....clue bandage and generous helping of antiseptic...oh and arrow!
Once out of hospital and able to assess the return to service from the shoulder I decided to seek the help of my awesome physio. I wanted to talk to them about range of motion exercises and such in order to get my full mobility back to normal as soon as possible. First up though was some physical torture soft tissue release work. Needless to say I was given a through working over!

Bruising post physio...no I don't shave my chest...
maintain that I am just more evolved than other hairy apes :)
I was also able to purchase a simple pulley system that clips to the top of a door and allows you to stretch the afflicted limb with the use of the good one. My wife finds it most hilarious and keeps quoting the line “You gotta door, you gotta gym!” at me! Again…ha ha ha ha….*Sigh*

Modesty of innocent protected with dressing gown.
I haven’t been for a run yet this week but am planning on one tomorrow morning. A gentle 7k to get my butt out of the door and back into some kind of activity on the road. Back on the old wagon! Just to prove it I have signed up for my choice home race of the season…the Perth City to Surf Half Marathon. August 31st here I come!

 
I am pleased to admit that I braved my first foray in the pool for 4 months yesterday. We were at the local leisure centre with the youngest and I decided to try a few tentative laps in the 25m pool. Started with breast stroke and once those didn’t feel too bad I moved on to some freestyle. It wasn’t pretty or fast but it was swimming and I felt pretty good afterwards. Woo hoo….progress baby!

Even more good news is that the Telstra Series of Tris has opened for entry…the limitation is that the entry fee for all 5 races (yup that’s the plan!) is lots of $$$ so I will have to wait till next payday before I sign up to that one. Second side note…I think I need to start a race fund savings account and put aside a little cash each month towards the entries. It seems I have an awesome ability of picking the sport with decent entry fees and need to lessen the blow to the family budget a little.

I think I will dust off the bike and give the wheels a little spin the weekend when my wife is not watching. Nothing dramatic, just a few kms to get the feel for it again. I know, not too much too soon but honestly I will not be pushing it…the intention here is to simply get some feeling back for the beast!

Just to end off...my awesome little 2 year old on his birthday yesterday
giving me a little extra post op service with his new drill!!!
Thanks for reading and happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment