Monday 2 May 2016

And that’s a wrap for another season…

Yesterday (May 1st) marked the final major event of the WA triathlon season and with it the start of the off season.

And that is how today has gone....
How did I mark the momentous date in the diary….by participating in my second Busselton 70.3 event.


By way of a build-up let me say that I signed up to this race on the back of the euphoric high that I had after my full Ironman experience in December. I was languishing and needed further motivation to keep training and not lose all some of the fitness I had gained during that training regime. This started very well and petered out as other pressures (family and work) took their toll on life. That said, I still felt that I had a good base and was ready to toe the line and enjoy the day.

This trip down was a little different to my passed races. I was going to the event solo (ie without my family) which was different and I felt that it was a missing factor in the lead up excitement. I stayed with some club friends and as such it really was an athlete house and in that respect it was “fun” to see everyone’s pre-race habits.

I felt considerably more disorganized for this event that the last two major races. I don’t know but the whole time I had a nagging thought in the back of my mind that even now I can’t quite put my finger on what it really was. Maybe the fact that I was knowingly undercooked was weighing on me.

That disorganization spread into race morning where I faffed about and left my street gear and wet suit in the car while I set up transition (another drawback to no family – no assistance luggage carriers) and after setting up transition (quickly) I ran back to my car to get my gear, ran back to the tent to drop it off then back to the start line (about 1,200m total) and ended up being one of the last 4 people in the age group in the starting pen…it also meant that I started on the “wrong” side and was amongst the scrum of swimmers for the first 1,200m. Apart from thrashing around in the swim it was uneventful, my rhythm came and went and I think I could have pushed a bit harder but overall was happy with it. Overall – 33:03 (2min PB).

T1 – uneventful as ever – 4:05. Not my quickest time but I recall getting my wet suit stuck on my foot, picking up then putting down my arm warmers and stabbing myself in my right nostril with the arm of my sun glasses (uncomfortable!) as I went to put them on….doh!

The ride…hmmmm….for some reason I could not get comfortable! I sat in areo, sat up, leant forward, rolled my hips, stood up, stood to one side, stood to the other and generally fidgeted for the majority of the ride. I will be interested to see the race photos as I am pretty sure that the pictures will not be pleasant. I also developed a rub on the rear wheel that only occurred on the down stroke of the right leg. Apart from seeing the aftermath of a crash and sadly the riders being neck braced and stretchered into the ambulances (thoughts are with them!) the ride really was uneventful. The conditions where great with very little wind to speak of. Overall – 2:44:22 (1min PB).

T2 – happily dismounting the bike I trotted into transition. Switched shoes and head gear and was out on the run 2:37. Almost clinical and personally one of my quicker transition times…could I be starting to get the hang of this transition game….

The run. The element I was dreading the most through my lack of preparation. I did however go into this run with a plan. I had fuelled better on the bike, I knew that (thanks to my nutritionist). I had my fuel ready to go on the run at set intervals (again, thanks to my nutritionist for the plan!). My plan was to hold myself back at a steady 5:45 pace and walk the aid stations…I didn’t manage to hold back very well for the first 3.5kms but then caught up to a chap that was running the pace I wanted. I slowed and chatted to him and happily trundled along at the right pace for the next 3.5kms. I then took on a gel and walked an aid station and let him carry on (about 8kms in). I then continued with that trend for the remainder of the race. I didn’t find it an easy policy to stick too and gradually my times deteriorated, especially in the last lap of the course. It was fantastic to see so many friends and team mates out there competing and in all truth, not knowing who you would see coming the other way (and when) really kept me honest and moving forward! I loved seeing people having a strong day and smiling their way through the course. Club alley was as always a major uplift and great seeing my club colours standing out loud and proud and getting the high 5s from them on the way through. Overall – 2:06:19 (16min PB).
 
A good improvement across the board really!
I was so very glad to finish this race. I have battled with a bit of a dejected feeling for the last 24hrs (and I suspect for a few more days yet). I went into the race under trained and did not give the race the respect it deserved. Whilst I am THRILLED with my finish and a personal best of 20mins over last year I can’t help but wonder if I have a little bit of training fatigue and as such “rebelled” against training for the race…in some ways I feel that this result is not justified….sigh post IM blues!

I was honestly trying to smile! I promise I was....
 Onwards and upwards.

This week is a rest week….I MAY roll the legs over towards the end of the week (I may not…we will see) then next week I want to start my training for the marathon in August. I know – how silly that I have been talking about training fatigue and then am already talking up the next event but in truth I am looking forward to training for one discipline…one that is actually the most flexible as I can run before or after work or even during lunch on the short run days.

Plus, running is where I need to see my most gains (weight and speed) so that is where I need to focus regardless of feeling.

But for now I shall savour the guilt free lie ins of the week and enjoy the family time that comes from “all this free time”….


Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment