Friday 22 April 2016

It’s ok, don’t be alarmed, I’m just trying to rekindle the motivation…

My last post was as I entered the “off season” LAST YEAR (June 8th)! Yikes…excuses, damn right I have excuses but that’s not what this is all about.

Yup...I'm back....
As the title suggests, I feel a little lost and at sea with my motivation at the moment and my random ramblings is one way I am hoping to fire up the fitness desires again and get back on the wagon (again).

So what has happened since last I typed…here’s an abridged version…


June 2015 – I actually managed to keep “fairly” motivated through June. I clocked up 3 stair sessions, 9 runs, 2 swims, 6 rides AND a brick. Total distance for the month was 341kms over 22hrs…not too shabby (actually impressed myself just typing that out!)

July 2015 – The wheels started to wobble. 1 stair session, 5 runs, 5 rides, 2 swims and a “race”. The City to Swan. Run - 14km – 1:12:38. Not the worst but not my best either. Was feeling the loss of motivation following the end of the tri season. 226kms over 14hrs…hmmm starting to get shabby here.

August 2015 – I started to try to train with a friend of mine who was competing in the Worlds Tri event in Chicago and so I managed a couple of brick sessions with her before a family situation took me back to the UK for a couple of weeks. With all my best intentions I took my gear and planned a run route before I even got there. I managed one run in two weeks…it was pretty dismal to say the least. Oh, and I came home and ran the City to Surf half marathon – surprisingly only 12secs off my best time (no idea don’t ask how – altitude change?!) 6 runs, 3 rides and a brick. 173km over 11hrs.

September 2015 – Well this was a BIG BIG month. Motivation returned in so many ways. Firstly, I had a new job!! One that I am I very happy with and offers me exciting new challenges and a way to test myself that I was missing before.
Isn't she beautiful...Felicity...we got to know each other REALLY well....
Not being one to do things by half, it was also the month that I started training with a dedicated coach for my Ironman plan in the December. My new coach provided a new level of dedication, motivation, fear and inspiration. My workouts were planned out and uploaded to Training Peaks (the fear of a red box is very motivation – side note – the box turns red if you miss or don’t complete the desired workout!). I can honestly say that I was so excited to start this training. It was the structure that I felt I was missing through the “off season”. It certainly was telling in the stats for the month…8 runs, 8 rides, 7 swims, 4 bricks. 743kms over 46hrs – yup a pretty steep step up.

October 2015 – This continued on the same trend. 11 runs, 13 rides (4 over 100kms), 9 swims, 2 bricks and a duathlon race (one in which I ran both runs at a sub 5min/km pace and averaged over 33kph on the bike! – massive PBs). I also raced a 5km open water event at the end of the month. A huge effort as it was to be the furthest single swim I had done in the ocean. It was glorious and I enjoyed myself (apart from the stingers – see photo for allergic reaction). 1,248kms over 67hrs – BIG month! LOVING IT AND LIFE!
Yup...#nofilters...that's me post stingers pre steroids...
November 2015 – Sadly this month we started to come towards the taper end of the training. I was still loving the training and was feeling super strong and fit. Yes, there had been some niggles along the way but overall things were progressing well and life was good. My amazing wife had been putting up with the tantrums and fears, tears and laughter all within her amazing stride, whilst keeping the home and family life running so smoothly. She secured her place in sainthood in my mind! 9 swims, 12 runs, 5 rides. 650kms over 42hrs.

December 2015 – Yes there was some training but not much and nothing compared to the event that the year had been building to. The Busselton Ironman. Words cannot fully explain the event and the day to me. I hope to be able to put some of it into words with my return to blogging, more for my own memory and prosperity. It was a long day, it was a tough day and it was one of the most amazing experiences I have had. Understand the I have been Blessed with an amazing wife and two phenomenal children, all of whom make up my reason for existing but from a selfish and personal day I cannot say how much I enjoyed and loved and relished the experience. I think it will be a LONG time before I can go back and repeat the Busselton Ironman as I will not want to tarnish the memory of my first full iron event for many years to come. I finished with a heart bursting with joy and happiness in 12:30:42. If you have a desire and drive for a full…DO IT – it is amazing!
 
Had to be done...even landed on my feet!
January 2016 – still riding the euphoric wave of the post IM event training continued, albeit with much less vigour and a bit more swagger. I even signed up and race a Sprint (3min PB) and Olympic event (17min PB). During this time, I went and met with a nutritionist to try to ensure that I get my eating habits in order. I got some very interesting feedback and am continuing to work on implementing. 5 rides, 4 runs, 4 swims, 2 bricks and 2 races. 472kms over 25hrs.

February 2016 – I was starting to languish now, a sort of post IM off season ensued. Motivation was waning and I needed a challenge. I applied for and received a place from the waitlist for the Busso 70.3 event in May. Woo hoo…a challenge = motivation right – yeah not really. Whilst I continued to attempt to train and keep motivated it was tough! The initial inertia of the entry did bouy my efforts but soon the effects of burning the candle of work, life and training were taking effect and the training was the space to suffer. 6 rides, 3 runs, 3 swims, 1 brick and another Sprint race. 421kms over 22hrs.

March 2016 – Pulled the finger out here a little and got partially fired up…sort of. March was also a particularly stressful time in the new role and the hours became longer and the missed training sessions more frequent. Perfect for the 70.3 training schedule and my type a mindset. 3 runs, 7 rides, 4 swims and a brick. 581kms over 29hrs (mainly due to two big rides totally 240kms over 9.5hrs).

April 2016 – and here we are. I am feeling every bit a fraud “enjoying” taper time when I really haven’t done much to warrant it. I am embarrassed by it. I will turn up and compete next weekend (yup it is a week away) and I am expecting it to be a tough day. In my heart I would love to beat my time from last year and I think I am wiser BUT I am not sure that I am fitter! I have managed two race sims this month, both of which are giving me faint glimmers of hope for a positive race day experience. This time round I am not taking my family with me as my wife would have to manage the two boys on her own far from home and that is not fair. Given that they would probably see me all of 5 times in the 5 – 6hours I would be out there…not conducive to a happy family. So I will drive down the day before and home the afternoon after. The day will be the day and I know it will be fun and I am really looking forward to it. I just need to remember those things while I am out there on course…you get out what you put in (quick someone put that on a motivational poster!).


So, where to next. In an effort to bring this rambling to a concluding point (or two).
Yeah.....no! 
Since my Ironman I have gained a little over 6kgs. That is bad enough but more annoyingly my body shape has changed and that bums me out more in truth. I am back on the nutritionists guidelines, the joy of sweets and choccies and biscuits NEED to be reigned back…the excuses are going going GONE!! Ultimately I would still like to shed 10kgs (4 more than my IM low).

I feel like I need the “fear” back for an event, I know that my running is my least favorite discipline and as such will be my focus over the off season (that coincides with the 70.3 next weekend). Again, taking the bull by the horns I have signed up for what will be my 3rd standalone marathon. The City to Surf marathon at the end of August this year. Having done the half 5 times it is time to step up. Also, I feel that this is achievable as I do have some fitness base and with a focus on my running over the next 4 months to get myself prepped and ready.

So with a return to blogging and a renewed vigour, challenge and excitement here we go (again)…..


Thanks for reading…

No comments:

Post a Comment