Monday 8 June 2015

The land between two training schedules

So when last we left off Busso was in the bag and I was looking towards the next events, still riding the euphoric wave of the post-race high!

And yes - I am still doing marathons... Game of Thrones Marathons..
I now find myself stuck between two schedules and it is a cold, dusty and desolate place. After the constant of training for Busso 70.3 to then move effectively into nothingness for a while is pretty miserable. Intensity has dropped right off and the requirement for willpower is at its highest levels ever (especially when your bed is as clingy as mine). I will be lying if I didn’t say it was a bit demoralising.

I loved the busy schedule of the training. I loved the feeling of getting fitter and stronger. I loved the race weekend, race day and joy that followed. After the race weekend was over and I returned to the “normal” life (ie the one without training 6 days a week) I couldn’t help but feel a sense of anticlimax.

Sure the race was done and dusted but was that really it…it was the proverbial perfect storm as it was also the final race of the WA Tri season and as such the training group dispersed to the four corners of the off season.

In a vain attempt to keep the motivation going I signed up for a local road race, which has now come and gone, and my motivation peaked with me managing 3 runs (and two rides) in 14 days. Managed the 21km run in 2:07 which was ok. Thankfully I went into the race with no expectations, only happy to finish…

So where am I now…well things are starting to pick up again. Yes, it is still pretty early in the schedule for Mandurah 70.3 and Busselton 140.6 but a number of my training buddies are gearing up for Worlds 70.3, Dublin 70.3 an Bintan 70.3 (across August and September) so I am attempting to  piggy back on their schedules. I will have something scheduled for almost each day of the week again (expect Friday…Friday Rest Day – Friday Best Day).

Further motivation has come from a deal I have struck with my wife. I saw a photo this morning that has spun me out a little…I know that I have gotten complacent and enjoyed eating freely but it is never really free is it. Well I appear to have “thickened”, certainly around the mid section and face so…..on to the deal….. The deal we have struck is that I have 3 months to shed 10kgs. This will get me to where I foresee my appropriate race weight as well as return me to a level that I am happiest at. As an extra little bit of motivation we have agreed (aka I have begged and pleaded and sulked until I got my own way) that as a reward for me hitting this goal I will be able to purchase myself a TT bike! Yee Ha!!! As I type this I am supping on my 3pm Green Tea…yup I am THAT keen on getting some weight off and that bike in my grubby little hands…

This also marks the best time to shake the weight. It is the off season and technically is the running season, and I have always found running the most effective way for me to manage my weight. There are two main races that I am signed up for the Swan River Run (14km – July) and the City to Surf (21km – August).

So here we have it…the count down to the bike begins…so brace for a grumpy little athlete while I can’t indulge in the winter comfort foods and if I see you eating a delectable delight don’t be alarmed if I lunge for you and said snack…


 
As ever, thanks for reading and happy training…

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on losing the pounds! I know you can do it and I want to see pics of the bike when you get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read your article! I am looking forward to sharing your adventures and experiences. footcare drill equipment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update, very nice site.. footcare drill

    ReplyDelete