Thursday 12 May 2016

What’s with all the running….

So the tri season for me has ended after the successful conclusion of Busso at the start of the month. And with the end of the Tri season begins the Running season…dun dun daaaaaaa….
  
LOVE The Awkward Yeti
So here we go on a wild “rock and roll” adventure of run training over the next 4 months culminating in my first attempt at the Perth City to Surf Marathon in August.


Following on from Busso I consciously decided to take the week off. I would be lying if I didn’t say it was GLORIOUS! It was an absolute pleasure not setting the alarm for sparrows fart o clock and having to prep the night before. The only way it could have been even better is if I had taken the week of work…sigh…it was SOOOO nice and sadly now a distant memory.

In truth, I couldn’t really sit still for the whole week so I set about building myself a training plan for the next few months. The basis of it looks like this:

Monday – Stair/strength work
Tuesday – mid distance medium pace morning run
Thursday – interval work
Saturday – Park Run (or similar TT type)
Sunday – LSD (3/4 of distance at race pace)

Interspersed over the next few months are several races and ad hoc events

HBF Run for a Reason – 21.1km – May 22nd
Perth Marathon RELAY – 15km – June 12th (as part of a team – 15km is my option)
City 2 Swan – 14km – July 24th (actually advertised as 14km then a tiny asterix stating that it is 13.5km…….seriously!!! (Cheating us runners out of 500mtr bragging rights…..MOVE THE DAMN FINISH LINE……))
CITY TO SURF – 42.2km – August 28th

So by all accounts a pretty solid “off” season.

So it began, again, last Saturday I hit up my local Park Run (Bibra Lake). I love this course and have shed many a drop of sweat on this running track. As I was leaving the house my dearest yelled at me to take it easy after a week off…my reply was affirmative…5:30s would be awesome! Well….I was a little off. There is something about the start line and the group mentality that takes over that means it is never a gentle little jog/run and of course I strode out weaving through people (I seeded myself further back on the basis of 5:30/km). I ended up with a 4:50/km 24:17…opps…chuffed and surprised!)

Monday I hit the stairs (for the first time in a LONG time). 
Torture central... :p
I love the stairs and enjoy the benefits of the work out it provides and am looking forward to more over the weeks to come.
BUT….having not done stairs for a little while it is safe to say that it is a shock to the system and OOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW………despite my best efforts at stretching and moving my word my calves are feeling it. Here I am on Thursday (3rd day) and my calves are STILL tender! Can’t wait for intervals tonight (NOT!). Then again, I know that when I hit my local staircase on Monday coming it will be better and it will only get better and more improved and stronger from there!

As an aside, my nutritionist sent me a message last week asking if I was still alive and hadn’t left the planet or some such due to my radio silence. After sheepishly providing many MANY excuses we agreed to meet and plan out the program for this running season. We met last night and he has thrown a couple of challenges my way…more for another post but I am looking forward to what this running season has to offer and I am looking forward to getting my head back into the game and out of this complacent space it is lounging about in…


As ever, thanks for reading and stay tuned for a future post regarding the challenges and time goals…

No comments:

Post a Comment