Thursday 26 March 2015

My first DNF (aka KVT recap)

This should be my week 10 training recap but as I mentioned in my last post due to injury I completed ZERO training sessions last week…thankfully it was a recovery week before we enter the final training phase before the 70.3 but still it was hard not to do any training. I know that I could still ride and swim but as it turned out most of my physio sessions coincided with those and as such the week was a write off.


Still, I had managed to negotiate clearance from my physio to at least partake in the swim and ride at Karri Valley and was focused on getting a solid swim/ride BRICK session completed for the week.


This week is my eldest son’s birthday and as such we decided to have an extended stay in the region as a mini family holiday. Needless to say it was still the usual mad panic of packing the car, children and gear to get out the house and on the road. Swung passed the shops for some spending money and a couple of coffees (for the adults) for the start of the road trip. About 10 mins into the drive my darling wife (DW) turns to me and asks…

DW: So do you have everything?
Me: Yup, of course!
DW: Wetsuit and race bag.
Me: Yup!
DW: Bike?
Me: [Nervous laughter]…we’re turning around everyone…. **** ***** **** ****!

Yup, forgot my bike. Thankfully we were only 10mins down the road so the turnaround was not too dramatic but needless to say there was much laughter (at my expense) and even the 8yr old was getting in on the act. That and I think my wife had updated Facebook before we had even turned around ensured that the wider world also enjoyed a laugh on me!

On to the event itself…what a great location. In the Karri Valley just south of Pemberton is a beautiful location.

While there, I made sure that everyone knew that I was injured and would be pulling out at T2. E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. …from the lady that checked us in to our accommodation to the young lad manning the bbq stand at the finish line. Just making sure that everyone knew the reason for the rock tape and my sulky face…
The Lake
This race provided an opportunity for me to race in my wetsuit. The water in the lake as beautiful and was warm enough that a wetsuit was optional but I decided to use it for the experience.
Center of the photo...not my normal strategy

I enjoyed my swim. I felt pretty good. I think I could have been a bit more comfortable and I did position myself in the wrong spot…center of the pack…and as a result the swim to the first buoy was a bit of a scrum and it took a while to get into some open water and find a rhythm. Once out of the water there was a 400m – 500m trot down the road to transition (which counted in the swim time). I did start trying to run but bare foot on the tarmac and the sore calf meant that I ended up slowing to a quick waddle walk instead.
"Zooming" up the beach...
T1 – a considerable dawdle. Got to my bike, had a bit of a think about taking off the wetsuit and then actually got my A into G and decided that I needed to get moving and went…

The ride. 60km total – 2 laps. First 5kms were ALL uphill (110m elevation gain!) then the next 10kms were undulating “rolling” hills. Before I took on the hills I was very optimistic about a strong ride and had my plans set on an average 30kph ride. Once I got to the decent of the first lap it had become a major mental battle. I was busy thinking that as I wasn’t racing for any particular reason and rather than face those hills again I could pull out and be content. What kept me going…the realization that I would have been in a foul mood for pulling out for no good reason and therefore spoiling the weekend for the family. Onwards and [literally] upwards I went. Happy with the ride and happy with my nutrition. Still had energy after the ride and feel that I did have some energy for the run.
Two laps...at least it shows the GPS was consistent...
Handing in my timing chip in T2 was a very difficult thing to do. The Official even tried to tempt me by suggesting that maybe I could walk the first lap….knowing that I would never walk the lap I thanked her for the offer and declined. Off I strode to find my awesome family who had suffered through a morning of spectating and to cheer my fellow athletes over the line.

In summary this is an awesome event and I look forward to coming back next year and giving the whole course a fair shout! 

The rest of the weekend was great with a few long walks (carrying the youngest – good training) and adventures around the region. And I was still smiling!
He gave me several "haircuts" while up there...
This week is more physio and the hopes of clearance to start running.

As ever, thanks for reading.
PS Today marks one year since the grand flip…my how time flies (and I am much happier with it being time rather than me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment