Thursday 19 March 2015

70.3 Training – Week 9

Technically TECHNICALLY, we have not yet finished week 10 so I am not THAT overdue with my update…

So what has happened over the course of week 9 of training…

Week 9 - distance skewed by the indoor trainer work...
Monday night swim training was great. As ever the drills certainly mean that you leave the pool knowing that you have had a workout! 
Tuesday bike intervals. Wowsers. Intervals consisted of hill repeats up Reabold Hill. I like short sharp hills, or at least I thought I did. I managed 7 repeats of the course before I was all in. We were tasked with trying to get one gear harder with each climb…I managed to get three harder (i.e. fourth trip) and then I reverted back to an easier selection…

Tuesday night long run I missed through a work commitment but I made up for it on Wednesday night. Wednesday morning I had endurance swimming and despite forgetting to start my watch managed a respectable session.

Wednesday evening I wanted to make up for the missed run on Tuesday. I have been feeling that I have missed a few runs lately (in reality I only missed the two running sets the week before…but I was feeling sensitive… I feel that the run is my weakest element). So I decided that I would run laps around Lake Monger. So 1.75kms from the office, 3 laps (11.5km) and 1.75km back to the office = 15km run. Firstly, laps around a lake at BORING…..secondly, I was slightly out in my calcs and ended up having to run past my office and down the road and back, and back again to make it up to the 15km target I had set my self (or total of 80mins of running).  It was not pretty. It was humid, I was tired and grumpy. I put a lot of the issues of the world to bed during that run. I was thirsty and to make it worse I was starting to get some tightness in my calves by the end.

Thursday, rode in the Water Tower challenge. Always a great ride. That is the second time I have done that one now and I felt much better this time…always help knowing the course as it allows you to pace yourself a bit more. Thanks to one of my training buddies for pulling me back at one intersection as I was off on a mission and who knows where I would have ended up.

Due to the long run the night before I opted out of the interval run (yes yes, the irony of making up a run as I was conscious of missing them is not lost on me at this point in time). It was an uphill 5km time trial trail run (the perfect storm) and after the tightness from Wednesday I took the rest option.

Saturday…well, there was a major weather system bearing down on the West coast of Australia and we were informed by our weather bureau to prepare for some wind weather in Perth. As such, events and training sessions all over Perth were cancelled as a precaution for the event. Nothing happened…the cyclone, thankfully, fizzled out before it got to Perth and quickly became the anticlimax of the year so far. Unfortunately, it meant that the planned BRICK session (which was going to be a biggie) was called off and an indoor equivalent was suggested.
Set up for Saturday...
Well, I will say that the indoor bike trainer is a special kind of torture device! The indoor double consisted of 55min spin (with interval gear changes at 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 repeated three times) followed by a 30min run. Then and 30 min spin and 15 min run. It was tough, horrible but we got through it…

Sadly, I did not get through it unscathed…

During the first run I pulled up with pain in my lower leg. Specifically between the calf and Achilles. I tried stretching and slowing the pace down but it was a hobble at best. By the time of the second run it was worse as it had tightened up more during the “break” on the bike.

To say I was sulking on the drive home is an understatement. I iced and elevated the leg once I was home and that evening my darling wife proceeded to torture assist me with a “massage”. She even managed to find a knot that enabled me to leap vertically off the bed in a lying position…

Sunday, I sadly had to decline an offer to join a break away group with a ride in the hills for fear of my calf acting up 50kms from home. In a petulant state I climbed back onto trainer. I ended up managing to complete two one hour blocks on the machine…probably lost an Olympic pool worth of sweat and got through a couple of episodes of Game Of Thrones (season 1 – re-watching prior to the new season start). The positive is that I managed to get my average cadence on the trainer to be 92rpm…happy with that. I also maintain that as you don’t get any downhill or freewheel options on the trainer that it is tougher than the road ride…I am clutching here people…
Notice fancy arse iPad stand...
So on the Monday I went to the Physio. Turns out that I appear to have given myself a minor strain of the soleus muscle.

Damn anatomy...
The tightness I am feeling is the precursor to a more serious strain or even potential tear. Oh joys…absolute sunbeams and rainbows!

So, I underwent some pretty hard core paid torture massage and acupuncture. All the while my oldest son was sitting watching, giggling at me having to restrain myself as I was no longer being tortured by my long suffering wife who I can tell to stop hurting me but by a professional person whom I was paying for the privilege. His giggles did stop once the needles came out and went into my leg and he watched with a morbid curiosity…at least me watching him was a distraction.
Hardest selfie ever...
So thankfully week 10 of the training schedule has been a rest week as I have done NOTHING for the whole week…I am feeling it…very sluggish. I know that I will not have lost fitness in a week but hey an injured mind in training can play terrible tricks on a “sane” brain…

So check it out – I am now ahead in my updates…week 10 in a nut shell…nothing!

I will be going to Karri Valley this weekend but I will not be completing the whole course. I have been given clearance to swim (1.5km) and ride (60km) and I will pull out before the run. It is my thoughts that the swim in my wetsuit will be a good test in race conditions and the ride will allow me to test nutrition better in readiness for May.

I will return to training next week but not to running until (hopefully) the week after, once I get clearance from my physio…who I reminded I have 6 weeks to go!

Thanks for reading and I will post my run down of Karri Valley next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment