Tuesday 21 April 2015

Getting to the pointy end

Nearly a month since the last update. It really is amazing how time seems to blur when you are caught up in a routine of home, work and training. So this plans to be a whistle stop recap, highs and lows, got to keep this a balanced view.

So when we last left off our lovable hero was nursing a strained soleus muscle and a bruised ego from his first DNF…

Week 11
After more physio treatment through the week I was FINALLY given clearance to start some light running again and with much joy attended the club BRICK session on the Saturday. Very happy to report that with a combination of run/walk I pulled up strong and pain free!! Soleus be damned I am back baby!!

The Sunday was our century ride…what a great ride that was! Annoyingly I stopped just short of the 100 (98.28km) but the sentiment was still there. Nailed the nutrition, worked the areo bars AND the whole ride was at an average speed of 30.31kph!! VERY pleased with that and well on track for my sub 3hr Busso ride.


Week 12
This was a great week for nailing my training sessions. Only missed one all week and I felt great for all the work we put in.

On the Long Run Tuesday I was still conscious of coming back from the injury so opted for a shorter run and completed a solid 12km run, pain free and into a particularly vicious headwind. Some cheeky bloke was even drafting off me on the run back…I didn’t know that you could draft on the run but he sure was…how do I know this…once he overtook me and felt the force of the gale wind he slowed up and then hung on my right shoulder for about 3kms…if I had any more energy I might have tried to shake him but I was focussed on the plod…

Week 13
The weather in Perth was a bit up and down in this week. The Tuesday ended up being pretty stormy and as such the interval ride was canned. That said, we were not given the reprieve for a lie in…coach sent us a suggested interval session on the trainer. I dutifully got up early, set up the trainer and smashed out an hour while watching the rain fall outside of the garage…some of the views my neighbours gave me on the way passed were pretty funny and by the time I was finished I may as well have ridden in the rain but it was a great session. Funny part was my sons wandering through to the garage to make comment or just watch their nutter of a father sweating profusely.

Saturday was a race simulation session that the coach arranged. What a great session it was. A 1km swim in the river, followed by a 44km ride and an 8.5km run. Seriously a great session that I really needed to help get my head in the right space, especially as I was still not 100% happy after missing KVT.

Week 14
Work had turned itself up a couple of notches over the past couple of weeks and sessions were being missed and my mood was slipping (again) noticeably. I was doing my best to juggle the three aspects but unfortunately this time it was the training that took the fall (that said, it is preferable to the family side of things as per a few weeks ago!). Over the course of this week between the early starts and late nights I only managed two session in the week, one of which being my long run. I ran 15kms before work on the Tuesday morning.
TMI I know but this was post 15kms and the final straw with the shoes... 
Let me preface this paragraph by saying that I know shoe fitting for running is not an exact science and a large portion of the issues is most likely my own fault. Back in December I had myself fitted for new running shoes. Now I have tended to stick to Asics or Brooks for most of my shoes and I am fortunate enough to have a very neutral gait. On the recommendation of the consultant I made the switch to a very nice pair of Mizunos. A firmer sole for more stability and support and a great fit to my foot. Fast forward many many kms and runs and I was still getting blisters and pain from them. My physio even hinted at the possibility of my soleus issues coming, potentially, from the shoes too.

In a less than ideal set up of timing I have only just been able to get back to the store to meet up with the consultant. After a conversation about the recent events and feet conditions and a few apologies on his part I was given a full 100% refund on the Mizunos and now have a new pair of Brooks. I even handed the guy my wallet and phone and went for a run around the shopping precinct to give them a more thorough hit out….happy to report that they felt great!


In terms of training, the weekend of week 14 was the culmination weekend with our biggest combined sessions coming together over the two days.

Saturday – open water swim. Approximate 2kms in the ocean at race pace. I was very pleased to record 2.2kms in 33:53 and still felt like I had some gas in the tank for more!

Sunday – the LONG BRICK (dun dun duuuuunnnn) Another GREAT Session!! As this was our last major hit out before TAPER time it was a key session to attend and a chance to try out the nutrition, fuel and race kit planned for the main event.

Cycle course was a 20km “loop” and the run course was a 4km loop (1km out and back either side of transition) with an aid station at the midpoint complete with race day electrolytes, water, lollies and flat coke. This meant that we passed the aid station every two kms the same as we will in the race.

We were not riding/running to distance but rather to time (but I did have some distance goals in my mind). The ride was to be 2:15 and the run 1:15 – 1:30.

I am very happy with my ride. 71.4km in 2:13 (32kph). I rode in areo position and was nice and comfortable. Nutrition was on track and I still had liquid In my bottles by the end, something I have been thinking about as I do tend to guzzle! 

The run. Was ok. I enjoyed this less, still 14.1km in 1:23. The learning here was that I went out too fast for the first 3kms and I need to manage that better. Oh….and the new shoes were awesome and no ill effects to report! Major relief!

This week marks the start of the taper, the sessions are still there but the intensity is sliding to moderate. I would like to get at least an 18km run in this week to settle my nerves around the run and then we can work towards race day.

T minus 11 days!!!

Thanks for reading

2 comments:

  1. Nice one D. Have you considered the Hokka shoe for next time? (Dani)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dani...thanks for reading!

      Yeah - I have toyed with the Hokas and have read MANY reviews. Might look to them as the next pair when I have more time to adjust again...

      Delete