Friday 9 January 2015

The “Century” Post…

So this post marks my 100th entry on my blog! I’ll be honest, when I started typing this rambling little adventure 2 ½ years ago I didn’t really have any idea where it was going. In reality, at that time it was more about trying to keep myself accountable whilst trying to lose some weight.

It then morphed into a bit of a recap of my “run around Australia” and general attempts at keeping fit and the odd rambling post here and there. Then once that finished I moved over into the world of triathlon and my desire to become an Ironman.
Yup, I started the training on my own and was building what I considered to be a reasonable base before I decided to get a closer look at the floor in front of my bicycle and that put paid to the plan to complete the 2014 Busselton Ironman. Thankfully I have an AMAZING wife who has put her desires on hold for another year to allow me to concentrate on reaching my goal race in 2015!

Fitting, I think, that a milestone post number (and a bit of a fluke!) should be the one to mark the start of my 16 week training block culminating on May 2nd at the 70.3 race in Busselton…the first step towards 6th December 2015.

I am very fortunate to have joined a club that really seems to suit me and my needs.

People:
I have met some really great people and have the pleasure of starting the 70.3 adventure with a few of them. Having these teammates (and the new ones I haven’t yet formally met!) will be a fantastic motivator and will play an important part in keeping me accountable over the coming weeks and months.

Coaches:
I have only met a small cross section of the coaches so far but can already rest assured in their capabilities and knowledge [our head coach is a Dr. no less]. Another thing that I really like about our coaches is that the majority of them have “been there and done it” or are currently doing it themselves and more often than not join in with the training session…seriously, what better way to motivate (other than with a whistle and spatula….)

Support:
The club likes to train hard and party hard and along with that comes a fantastic, friendly and welcoming support network. At the pre-course briefing last night there were people in the room with more than 5 70.3 races under their belt. A new found friend has 11 behind him and one lady had 14! These are people that I am looking forward to learning from as I am already inspired by all of them!!

So Monday marks the start of the training schedule and the sad little geek in me has already mapped out the core session that the coach has suggested plus the remaining sessions that will need to be completed in assist in getting me to the finish line in one piece…

Yup...I know how sad I am...but it's soooo pretty.....
So strap yourselves in and get ready for the ride. I am sure that I will get sore, tired, hungry and by default cranky but I promise to try and keep an honest account of the training trials and tribulations. You never know, there may even be a few weak arse attempts at humour as we travel through. I know for a fact that this cannot start soon enough as I have sorely missed the structure of having a coach and team motivating me and it really is time for me to back away from the sweet jar!

Shiny new kicks...
So here’s to training hard and smart and falling asleep on the couch by 9:30 ;)

Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment