Friday 23 January 2015

Instilling good habits...

So here I am nearly at the end of the second week of 70.3 training. I will post a summary of the weeks' training next week but I wanted to make reference to a new habit that I am working to instill in my daily routine.
All these early mornings are tough on the hardiest of minions


When I was more dedicated to my running I was actually quite religious with regards to my stretching pre and post run. Then it would appear that after the break I took from activity last year a great deal of apathy crept into my routine and I was happy not to bother with a dedicated pre and post stretch.

Well as was expected (by me) as my training started to intensify towards the end of the year I started feeling the little twinges, creaks and groans and sure enough it culminated in [thankfully only] a minor strain of my hamstring. It could have been much much worse! 

I think stretching is important for anyone, sure some folks can get away without stretching for months on end. Me, personally, as a bigger competitor think it is really important for me to maintain my "flexibility" and stretches. So, with that in mind each morning, whether it is a rest day or after a training session, I have been putting myself through 20 - 30 minutes of stretches. On a Monday morning, as part of the course, we have a recovery session that focuses on stretches and core work and I have used the basis from that to continue on each day. 
I am also thinking that it serves a double purpose. Not only does it benefit me in terms of the stretch and core but I also think it is a good way to compartmentalize the training and prepare for the day ahead (sheesh...I am sure that some of you reading this about now never realised I could be soooo deep and philosophical :p ) 

Oh and here is the brag...I do a plank to end off my stretching session and each day I try to extend it a little further. It is funny how I can actually get a sweat up by not moving around but I think that the shaking that starts when I have about 30 secs to go has something to do with it. Well this morning I am pleased to report my longest plank to date....3:31.58!! Wooooooo...abs of steel baby!

And finally, I am working on keeping my coffee intake under control. 
At least it means I can communicate with other humans...
I know that too much coffee does not react very well with me. I do enjoy that first cup of the day and will also savor one mid morning but after that I avoid any further cups. I am even TRYING to get on board with a cup of green tea at 3pm...struggling with that...green tea....hmmmmm....not the most appealing of substances. 

But I suppose it is all about the good habits and in the interest of self improvement I will endure.

Thanks for reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment