Tuesday 3 June 2014

MISSING: Running Mojo

So as I have banged on about several times over the past two months I have been itching to get back to some form of training…..anything will do I just want to train. I even mentioned to my darling wife that if I complain about training she should punch me (in my ok shoulder) to get me going and remind me of my non-training misery!

 Well….

Now that I can train again (gym and running) I am finding myself rebelling against running and preferring to lie in bed complaining about the weight of the blankets, praying for rain to be trickling down the drainpipes and even encouraging the cat to come and lie on my chest (heaven forbid I disturb the cat…he’s only just lost the ability to have babies!!)

How could I kick such a sad face off me and go for a run...
The gym side of things I am actually enjoying a little. I have never really been a gym person in all truth and am not really now but I am enjoying the mix of some cardio and light weights. Plus, it helps that there are three/four of us in the office that go down. Whilst I can’t train with them at the moment due to me being a lightweight restrictions in movement it does make me feel accountable being there at the same time and we do close the session with a combined core set….which sucks eggs but apparently I good for me!

I did, on the recommendation of a friend, sign up to ParkRun. This is a great initiative that is actually worldwide (or at least is spreading worldwide I think). It is free of charge and is run by volunteers at 8am every Saturday. It comprises a timed 5km run around/through/along a measured course with a bunch of like-minded people. Returning from injury it was recommended as a good low stress way to get back to running some outside kms! I arrived (just in time – underestimated the lack of parking….thanks random persons front verge J) and was greeted by a large crowd (112 at the end) receiving their race instructions. I managed a few quick stretches before it was go time – 8:01….not too bad in my books for on time run starts! I spotted a bloke in a Busselton 70.3 running shirt (I am like a moth to a flame when I see the Mdot logo) so we got to chatting for a while. He was pushing a pram so the pace suited me at the start. After a great chat we parted ways after about 1 km (NO he didn’t leave me for dust….thankfully he had to wait for the rest of his family…phew). It was great, it started to remind me of why I like running a little…I high fived all of the volunteers at the turning points and even waved for the camera at the 3km point (photo withheld as it was horrific…mid smile/pant/wave/turn weirdo thing going on…mid foot strike though). Ended up crossing the line 52nd (112 runners) in a time of 27:36! Happy days…I was really pleased with that as an opening run back in the mix. So I should be pumped and itching for the next run right….

Monday being a holiday here in beautiful Western Australia meant that there was another no pressure day to strap on the Garmin and clock up some more kms! Well, I was quite comfortable lying on the couch in my sweats thinking of any reason under the sun not to get out there for a run. My wife came through in her gear and made me feel a pang or two of guilt that we had arranged to go to the local lake and run a lap each while the other looked after the boys. After a small protest and an internal dummy spit I dragged myself off the couch. I dressed and the family mobilised in record time and we did manage to get a lap in each. (I will not confirm nor deny that it was under my supervision that both children went down the slides and ended up soaking wet head to toe and needed a complete clothing change when we got home!) 6km – 32:07…another positive run.

Overall, on the running side of things I need to get back to working on my pacing…in both runs I slowed up considerably from my starting pace…a little bit too keen and it is not yet sustainable given a two month break. That said, in both cases it was a good run! The gym work continues, with another session at lunchtime today, and will continue for the rest of the week. I am determined to keep this up until (and hopefully beyond) the surgery.

The mental game needs a re-boot. I can only liken it to when a child sees another child playing with a previously discarded toy….they want it. When I couldn’t train, I was desperate to train, now that I can train…excuses abound!

Thankfully, I have people around me to keep me accountable…my darling wife (CEO – Chief Excuse Obliterator), friends (Work, Facebook and Garmin), this blog (while I know that my mom and dad read it, it will keep me accountable) and overall, my continued desire to improve my fitness, lifestyle and become an Ironman! For all of this I really am grateful.

Thanks for reading, and if you happen to find my mojo please do message me to arrange collection...

No comments:

Post a Comment