Wednesday 18 June 2014

Want v Need

Wikipedia definition of a Need:
  • A need is something that is necessary for organisms to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants because a deficiency would cause a clear negative outcome, such as dysfunction or death. Needs can be objective and physical, such as food, or they can be subjective and psychological, such as the need for self-esteem. On a social level, needs are sometimes controversial. Understanding needs and wants is an issue in the fields of politics, social science, and philosophy.
Wikipedia definition of a Want:
  • Wants are often distinguished from needs. A need is something that is necessary for survival (such as food and shelter), whereas a want is simply something that a person would like to have.
Damn, it would appear that I WANT a race to train for (and motivate me) rather than NEED a race….*sigh*… I mean seriously….”a need is necessary for organisms to live a healthy life” – a race qualifies in that category right?!?! Well given that even Wikipedia consider that the understanding of wants and needs is an issue I am going to go out on a limb and state that I actually NEED a race to train for at the moment to help motivate me along….so there!

If I take it a couple of steps back what I ACTUALLY need is for this friggen plate in my shoulder to be removed so that I can get on a start some proper recovery and training again…THEN I need the Telstra Series to open for entry so that I will then have a race to train for!!!

Wow I am in a needy mood today! Let’s look to some positives to negate this negativity (almost a double negative)….look at that three variations of the word “negative” in one sentence...*pauseforapplause*

I am Blessed with an awesome family who are all well, fit and healthy!
  • Part 1 is doing well in his swimming lessons and completed 25m freestyle (unaided) yesterday!
  • Part 2 is learning new words everyday (having to be a lot more conscious about what we say now!) and is developing well
  • Darling wife is still training for her next race (jealous me!) and is getting faster (so I am going to stop giving hints and tips as she will kick my butt soon!)
I have joined a Tri club…
  • Actually pretty excited about this one. I was chatting to a lady at the Busselton volunteer briefing and she couldn’t recommend her club highly enough. From home the location does not make sense but it is really near to where I work and when I look at the training times it will work well on the way from and to work. So I emailed them and got a fantastic welcoming response and I signed up. Planning on joining one of their “mob runs” to meet a few people before my shoulder surgery and then headlong into it all once I am given the all clear again.
I have a tentative date for my shoulder surgery…
  • July 15th (tentatively)…but it is now like waiting for Christmas again!
After a lousy work week I have been able to get back into some stable training
  • I managed a new PB at the Park Run 25:32. Then I had a week worth forgetting and didn’t train for seven days. BUT, I was back at it on Monday and even had my first foray onto the stairs in over 2 months (24/03 last outing). My calves are telling me about it today!!!! Plus I have concrete plans for several trips to the gym this week (one down, 2 to go).
No comment required!
So when I look at the few positives that I have noted above, the negatives don’t seem all that bad! It is all a matter of perspective really and the mountains we encounter (and overcome) today will be a molehill by the time tomorrow rolls around!

Thanks for reading and here’s to the race entries opening soon to satisfy my “need” for a race ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment