Tuesday 27 May 2014

Well I finally did it....

The day I have been trying to put off for almost 9 weeks has finally arrived.


Today I had to pull the pin on the 2104 SunSmart Ironman Western Australia.

Following on from my consultation with my surgeon on Monday last week and further pleading discussions with my physio last night it has been decided that the best and most appropriate course of action is to pull out of the race for this year. This will give a better opportunity for rehab and an expected full recovery. My physio confirmed that she thought I would be too high a risk of re-injury through "an over-enthusiastic return to training". I refuse to believe that I am THAT predictable :)

The positive from this is that it will allow me to focus my efforts and technique on the short course side of the sport and I already have my sights set on a 5 race series that spans from December through to April. These are made up of both pursuit and Olympic distance events.

A further positive is that this will allow me to sign up for a possible two 70.3 events (Busselton and Mandurah) prior to re-entry for the full IM event in 2015.

I have come to terms with not doing the event this year. Disappointed - absolutely but by the same token I am looking forward to building my base and working on my techniques in the short course ready to give it my all in the full event next year. Fitter, stronger, better (faster)!!

All that said, I have been back at the gym several times since seeing the surgeon. At the moment I have limited my exposure to the fixed machines (bike, cross trainer, running machine) and some core work but have now been given some suggested weight exercises. I will use the next few weeks before my next op to work on some shoulder and core strength as well as pushing my cardio fitness back up. I will be getting out for a road run this weekend. I am pretty much waiting for this like a child waiting for Christmas!!!
Not planning on pushing things too much, I will aim for a 5k to get the feel for where my levels are and what my shoulder will think of the impacts. Plus it is an excuse to use that stunning Garmin paperweight that I purchased :)


Hoping you all have a great day.

Happy training and thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Go Dil - at least there are other options to focus on..you'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ange...a little frustrated but keeping focused on the positives!
      Well done on another mara!!
      PS four_cats???

      Delete