Wednesday 21 May 2014

8 week check up done! Couple of gratuitous photos too...


So on Monday I went for my 6 week check-up (8 weeks after the fall).

I won’t go into the usual “enjoyment” of the public hospital system. I am grateful I am grateful for free medical care and am very appreciative for the time and efforts that the people that work in patient care must go through. Needless to say I made some good progress into the second instalment of the Games Of Thrones book that I am currently reading!!!


Met with the surgeon (a different one) and he reviewed my x-rays and was pleased with what he saw. After the usual pleasantries of how is the pain and what’s your range of motion, he asked how I did it. So (as tempted as I was to give him my blog address) I recounted the storey to him…I am sure it gets more elaborate as the weeks go by….

Slightly out of place
See text below...a lizard on a rock

The sad part here is that he told me that he thinks that I should reassess my goal of the Ironman 2014! I have been booked in to have the plate removed in the second week of July. Following that there will be a period of immobility before a couple of weeks recover with no exercise. Once I get clearance to be active again I am under strict instructions to take it slow and easy to avoid any risk of re-damaging the fragile tendons! Overall, he looked me in the eye and suggested that I reassess my aims for this year. Honestly, I knew this was coming and I had sort of made up my mind that it would be the case but I still have the entry confirmation pinned up on my desk and can’t bring myself to ask for the deferral/refund just yet.
 
Enough with the mopey side to things....I GOT CLEARANCE TO START EXERCISING AGAIN!!!! Light running and light weights (he noticed my girl child like shoulder muscles!), stationery bike and cross trainer! So once I inform my physio of this I am sure she will conjure up some further torture recovery exercises for me. I will do some light gym work this week and support my wonderful wife in her 12km race this weekend then next week I can't wait to charge the garmin and get outside for a couple of runs!! GAME ON...probably back to basics a little but hey..... I'M BACK BABY!
 
Finally, below are the two contrasting text messages that I received from my parents once I flicked them the picture of my x-ray…


Dad is keen for it to be a feature piece in my bar! Surgeon didn't rule it out!
Apparently it was auto correct...lets just say I am watching my back!
 
Have to love parents hey!

Side note…I know that everyone heals and deals differently BUT….I met this chap at the hospital…similar accident and injury to myself, also there for his check-up to have the plate taken out! He was still favouring his arm and shoulder to the point of holding his arm flat against his side while walking and he was walking with a distinct sideways slant. He confessed that he couldn’t yet tie his laces of get a shirt on by himself yet! After chatting about what he had done and when and discovering that it was around the same time he stopped talking to me…opps…I also thought to myself that he needs to meet my dad but in truth I don’t think he would have survived the upbringing J

Thanks for reading and happy trails
 

No comments:

Post a Comment