Friday 24 January 2014

Why?.....Why Not!


I keep getting the repeated question from people I meet (and that know me and the former larger me)…

Why are you doing the Ironman?

I even love the fact that some feel the need to remind me of the distances involved. I mean really, I signed up on a whim and oh my I had no idea!!!! Thanks for being my shining knight and bringing me to my post training senses…clearly the boost of endorphins in my body post a swim/ride/run caused a lapse in judgement…(actually this might be partially true….hmmmm!)

I do have a wry smile when I get to tell people he distances involved and I watch their eyes get that little bit wider with each leg…which is then always followed again by a repeat of the why?


Whhhaaaa.....you finish by running what???
 I look at this question and wonder…why ask why? Why not think/ask why not!

Why not…try something new and adventurous and scary!

And that is not limited to my context here of the Ironman. My beautiful wife and I have moved countries twice, bought and sold houses and have been Blessed with two amazing children. We have had our ups and downs along the way, sure but that is life.  I can promise you when we were sitting in our little (rented) one bedroom flat in Zimbabwe (14 years ago!) we didn’t think “Why should we go to the UK?” we were thinking “Why not go to the UK.” And when we were sitting in our lounge looking at moving to Australia again the question was more why not rather than why. Sure, it was tough and I know that I made mountains out of several molehills along the way but the fundamental point remained….why not!

Everyone along the journey to their present place has had the Why and Why Not moments. For some reason though our first reflex when we talk to someone who is going outside of our perceived comfort zone is to ask why.

I am quite comfortable in my space so why would you not be and why would you want to do more…”

I wonder if that isn’t it…we talk to someone who is doing something to expand their own comfort zone and because that feels/sounds foreign to us we feel the need to ask why…

For now though my response will continue to be:

“Why not give it a go and try! I want to show my sons that you can change and you can accomplish goals that you are willing to commit yourself to!”

On a less serious note….I did ask myself “why” on my ride home this week, into the howling gale that was blowing up the freeway. I managed to con my brain into thinking that I would be grateful for the wind resistance training when it comes to the race in December….sucker!!!! Plus when I did collapse on the driveway I managed to stop my timer and discover that I improved by 4 mins over last weeks ride home! Woooooo!

Woooooooo!!!
Thanks for reading and happy trails…

DG

No comments:

Post a Comment