Wednesday 15 January 2014

Special times.....the day 2 post exercise ache

So as mentioned in my last post, Monday 13th (ooooooo.....the 13th) marked my return to training from the Christmas break.

After the impromptu 60k bike ride on Sunday I followed it up with a stairs session on Monday night with some friends. The session consisted of:

1 x warm up lap of the oval
5 x grass bank sprints
10 x laps of stair case (at sprint, double stepping)
1 x hill run (25% gradient)
4 x 25m sprints
1 x cool down lap of the oval

The sprints are a new addition to this workout since my last session about 6 weeks ago. To be fair the guys that I went with haven't been for about 4 weeks so I am really happy to report that we were all STUFFED after the session and the stretches consisted of extended amounts of time sitting on the floor trying to get the legs to respond to the required bending...

Tuesday was a scheduled bike ride. Now the schedule that I have had a suggested 24kms on it but in my infinite wisdom I figure that Tuesdays are as good a day as any to ride to work. So....that means a nice 30km to the office, day at work and 30km ride home.

Perth, for those that are not familiar with it, is fairly flat (a couple of small mounds that I would love to claim are hills) and in the afternoon/evening we are blessed with a "breeze" that is called the Fremantle Doctor. Last night was a particularly lovely "breeze". I checked the weather forecast before leaving the office and it was 27km/hr headwind with 32km/hr gusts. Joys......NOT!!! Firstly, it felt like I had the "gust" for the entire ride home and I am certain that the earth shifted on its axis for the ride and it was most certainly an "uphill" ride home! Seriously, there was at least one portion or the ride that I was afraid to stop peddling as I thought I might get blown backwards.

To work
From work



Left hand side is the ride to work. Very nice and I am working on getting it to below an hour (aiming to get my average speed up over 30km/hr).

Right hand side represents the ride home. Seriously, nearly 5km/hr slower average speed does not pay enough significance to the "breeze" that was blowing!










So today I sit here at my desk and I am contemplating whether or not I really really want a cup of coffee as my calfs and quads (despite stretches) are screaming at me and it is not so much the short waddle stroll across the office that is the problem but the required lowering of oneself back onto to chair and then the potential need for the bathroom later that is putting me off (forward thinking or what!). I know that movement is the best thing for these sore muscles but as I sit here now in relative comfort it is the last thing I desire to do.

The plan this evening is to ambush the body with a run and then reward the tired legs with a swim tomorrow morning.

Thanks for reading and here's to post exercise soreness happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment