Monday 12 November 2012

Suncorp Freo Fun Run - recap


Will you look at that, nothing for weeks and then two posts in a day J. I thought that if I am going to be serious about the runs that I take part in that I should at the very least post a re-cap of them just to share in the experiences and the highs and lows. Please bear with me as I am new to this re-cap thing and hope to get better in time.

So the Suncorp Freo Fun Run – 10km run.

A bit of jumping around and organising required on our side of things as this is the first run that my wife and I have ever run together and as such we needed to off load our 5 year old and 3 month old on my very gracious and generous mom. This was done at the very rude time of 7am on Sunday morning.

We made our way into Freemantle to park up and be at the start line well ahead of time. As it was the first time this run was happening and I don’t know my way around Freo too well I wanted to be there early to be able to find a car park and avoid all the road closures that were planned for the day.

The East Freemantle Football oval was the base camp and it was well laid out and was a nice big space for people to move around in. Port-a-loos were in full use and thankfully neither of us needed them as the lines were pretty standard for events with several thousands of people.

The start was chilly but wasn’t too squashed in the road leading to the timing gates. The one thing that could have maybe helped pass the time a little while waiting was a bit more banter over the microphones, that said there was lots of music playing and the mood was great.

8 am start and we were off…a fairly flat course that lead out of Freo and then looped back in through the docks. Once we negotiated our way through the docks we were running along the main drag of Marine Terrace, passed some of the waterfront cafes and restaurants. We then looped back and ran through the Freo “cappuccino strip”  which was a bit of a laugh having so many people puffing and panting their way down the road being cheered and watched by people out for their Sunday morning coffee fix and breakfast. It was a nice quirky aspect to the run.

Overall a fairly flat run which would lead to fast times. I ran it with my wife and was very proud that she ran all 10kms and we finished together with a time of 59:06 which is a nice respectable effort for a Sunday morning.

Random highlight – seeing a goat running along after his owner down the cappuccino strip…saw the goat at the end too but didn’t get his number to know what time he did it in – just content in the knowledge that we passed him out on the course J

Back again next year – sure thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment