Wednesday 17 October 2012

A Change of Focus


So I have decided to change my focus…

 As of October 31st I will no longer be on the “Cruise” phase of Dukan and I will move to the “Consolidation” phase. In truth I have been in this phase, sort of, for about the last 6 weeks. I have been having oats for breakfast and the odd half a cup of rice here and there, and I have had chips too…..the horrors…. J

My weight has bounced around (depending largely on salt intake!) around 106kgs (lowest was 105.3kgs for a day). My Dukan goal weight is 104kgs. I have decided that as my focus has been waiving on the current phase it is time for a change and as I like the symmetry of the 1st of a month (started Dukan on June 1st) the 1st of November shall be the start of my next step in the process. I will continue to use the Dukan principles as the basis for my lifestyle – I have grown to really like it and have found it straightforward and logical to follow. I like the structure – eat this don’t eat that…simple for a fool like me! So on that note….

I will concentrate my efforts and blogging going forward on my exercise, family and adventures….as well as a bit of weight and lifestyle thrown in for good measure. During the Dukan process I have found enjoyment in going for a run and seeing my speed increase and the times per km come down has really been great for me and I am “loving it” – I mean really, can you love running? I am addicted to my Nike+ site and the statistics of my pace and kms etc etc. It is my birthday next week and I am really hoping for a heart rate monitor (sad I know but I can’t wait to have a new stat to track and measure) J

After my enjoyment of the Perth City 2 Surf Half Marathon in August this year (completed in 2hrs 6mins) I decided that I wanted to challenge myself (my amazing family relationships and bank account) to run races interstate. I know I will not be challenging for the top honours but I have come to realise over the past few months that running now days is about beating myself and my previous times, not the guy next to me (who I do tend to race for a bit). The interstate part – well that is just something that I think will be pretty cool to have done.

The added incentive is that having paid for the race etc I will be incentivised to train and keep healthy and active. I want to be the best example I can for my two sons.

So the race calander looks like this (subject to wife and bank approval)….

11/11/12 –          Freo Fun Run – 10k – so excited as am running with my wife!
13/01/13 –          Cadbury Half Marathon – 21k – how cool, you start and finish at the Cadbury Chocolate factory…this one is subject to my mom babysitting two awesome children for the weekend J
14/04/13 –          Canberra Running Festival – 21k – booked in and ready to go, just flights and accom to sort.
19/05/13 –          Sydney Morning Herald Half – 21k – just waiting for entries to open.
26/05/13 –          Perth HBF Run for a Reason – 14k – will try to rope in my wife for this one…
16/06/13 –          Brisbane City 2 South – 14k – booked, going to try and plan this one as a family
holiday too.
25/08/13 –          Perth City 2 Surf Half – 21k – got to run the home race J
15/09/13 –          Sydney Blackmores Running Festival – 21k – it is there to be run
13/10/13 –          Melbourne Marathon Festival – 21k – looks awesome and a must do!

These are the plan so far. I am trying to focus on the 21k as I like the distance and the training schedule fits in with having two young sons and allows the wife to have her own exercise days too. By running in these races I will have 5 out of 8 of the capital cities in Australia….just Darwin, Adelaide and Brisbane (for a Hlaf Mara) to go.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for various updates and progress reports. The Dukan process has certainly helped me with a loss of nearly 30kgs to date and will continue to be the basis of my life going forward.

Happy thoughts and lighter scales….and good runs!

No comments:

Post a Comment