Monday 16 July 2012

Week 5 (+ 3 days) - Cruise


So after thinking that week 4 on cruise was a crappy week, week 5 turned out to be a little bit worse…I got sick…yes yes, man flu jokes aside I was pretty unwell. I spent the best part of 18 hours in bed Thursday and Friday with raging temps and weird ass dreams only to recover slightly on Saturday and plummet back downhill Saturday evening. Much improved after a further 12 hours in bed on Sunday. If anything it was an interesting week that was not without its challenges.

07/07 – (0.9) Loss
08/07 – (0.4) Loss
09/07 – (1.0) Loss
10/07 – 0.2 GAIN
11/07 – (0.2) Loss
12/07 – no measurement
13/07 – no measurement
14/07 – (0.8) Loss
15/07 – no measurement
16/07 – (1.6) Loss

So what happened over the week.

Sunday, went for my, now becoming usual, run in Perth city, up into Kings Park and round the park and back to the Bell Tower (12 kms). Got lost AGAIN, took a wrong turn, but still managed to get back on track and have a good run. Still without my baby sister as she is on holiday away at the moment and besides, she is faster than me and I need to make hay while the sun shines. So the week started on a high.

Monday, session in the gym – felt good – certainly not as stiff and sore as the first session so some improvement there! Not sure of why there is a gain after that session but anyway, we are still looking to tone some of the still flabby bits! AWESOME NEWS – have broken into the 11x.x weight band! Am now at a personal new low!! Chuffed!

Tuesday night, went for a scheduled 8 km run. It was dark, damp and a little windy…motivation for the run was LOW but I forced myself out there and ended up having a FANTASTIC run. A new personal best for the 5k (28mins flat!!) and finished the whole 8kms in 47:54 (another PB time).

So I was riding the wave of a great week after an uphill challenge of the week before and then WHAM I was struck down with the dreaded lurgy! The joys of working in an open plan office, in winter, under stressful conditions, oh and having a 5 year old with a cold too…So it hit me and personally given that I am 6’ 5” and 118kgs (J) I think that they were some pretty big germs to take me down!

Being sick identified a couple of things for me…1) my appetite was/is gone…still is now – I have had no desire to eat for a few days now…I have eaten out of necessity but not through want or desire! 2) Dukan is not appealing (to me) when I am sick. I experienced my highest levels of carb cravings while I was unwell. I have managed to get through – not entirely unscathed but we are through.

I did transgress. Three times…

1)      I had a bowl of Oats So Simple oats for breakfast on Saturday. Not as nice as I had built it up in my mind. I wanted something warm and sweet and comforting. It filled the gap for a couple of hours but was not a worthy transgression…
2)      I had two pancakes on Sunday morning. Nothing on them just two plain pancakes. They were nice and a pleasant change.
3)      After 4 days in bed and the house and feeling somewhat better we had to get out of the house so we went out for dinner. I had 10 chips…I purposely and consciously had some chips. I was very happy to be able to limit myself to 10. Days gone by I would have had mine, and my sons and any that my wife left too…

Do I feel guilty about the transgressions. No. Do I feel the need to atone for them. No.

I do expect that some of the weight lost over the past couple of days will come back on now that I am back on the Dukan express and I am prepared for that. I am sure that there will be a fair amount of water retention going on to recover the sweat lost over the 4 days. I think the fact that I am firmly in the 11x.x range has helped me with that mindset. I do not intend for the transgressions to become an ongoing thing. It was a nice to do after 45 days of diet and I hope was a sign of things to come with the change in mindset that this lifestyle change has brought to bear after 45 short days.

I hope that you have had a great week and the one ahead is even better.

All the best, happy scales and big smiles,

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment