Friday 25 November 2016

Starting to start...

So the early alarms are still proving to be a bit of a bug bear with me at the moment…the good news is that the weather is improving and we are getting lighter and warmer in the mornings so my list of excuses are becoming very short in supply.

Kind of sums up my eating too a little...
 In theory I should be able to build a decent enough habit over the summer/tri season that winter should be a doddle with regards to getting up (sorry…even I was laughing as I was typing that dribble!).


So in the last 9 days what notable has happened…

Well the biggest event was a race simulation last weekend. We did a 2:15 ride followed by a 1:15 (1:30 optional) run. Well as soon as I started to run I opted for the 1:15…

By comparison, the last time I did this simulation was off the back of some pretty shonky training in April (but carrying a fair level of post IM fitness) and at that time I did a 71.3km ride (2:12) and 14km run (1:20). This time it was a little more difficult…74.3km ride (2:16) and 12km run (1:09). I could not have been happier to stop running…this running lark is really going to be my test over the coming months…brace yourself!

The Sunday I backed it up with a freeway group ride, 85kms with a howling headwind. Much happier once we turned but after dropping back to check on the last wheel I in turn was dropped and burnt many a match trying to catch up…even recorded an 8:00min 5km…(37.6kph average)(I set my watch to record in 5km intervals on the bike and gauge my speed/feel from there – in theory 5km in 10min = 30kph…simple maths see). I was pretty happy with that pace and duration. The splits either side were also within the 8min category too so it wasn’t a one off but rather a build and then rapid reduction. But sadly never caught sight of the main group again…the joys of a lone wolf chasing a pack I suppose.

This week has been ok, a decent 14km run mid week, mixing in some long steady hills and a strong headwind. On the planned ride this week I uncovered a rather expensive horrible grinding noise from the chain/front derailleur region of the road bike. I have dropped it in at the service centre and am patiently awaiting the prognosis and cost estimation…I am justifying it to myself on the basis that I need the bike in tip top shape for the next 4 months of bike build specific training I have planned. Have to love this cheap hobby…

;p
 Open water swim training this weekend (with the bike out of action), so might go for a little out and back coastal run and then throw the wettie on and splash about. Interclubs race on Sunday which is always a fun event and was actually my first ever sprint distance triathlon 2 years ago. In truth this time though it will be more of an extended training session in prep for next week.

As ever, thanks for reading…



No comments:

Post a Comment