Tuesday 15 November 2016

I'm all about that bass, 'Bout that bass...

Thanks Megan Trainor for the catchy title. Not exactly the most butch song for my first embedded video link...



One thing I am quickly remembering with the (attempted) return to regular training is the early alarm settings. It is a real struggle to drag my carcass out of bed most some mornings. On a side note, I probably should invest in a more quiet coffee maker as I am sure that the novelty of the machines warm-up routine at 4:30 will wear pretty thin pretty fast with my wife (especially as it means the boys wake up and crash any chance of extra sleep for her!). Who knew that the grinding process of a few measly beans could rival a rock concert…




So I have broken up the following 12 months into three distinct chunks.

1 – Bike base.
                It is my intention to concentrate on the bike from my “last planned” race of the season (Busso 70.3 – Dec 4th) through to April. I am thinking that I will continue to swim twice per week and run twice per week (one steady and one interval) but focus on building my bike base. That will mean at least three rides per week. One flat, one interval and one hills/flat (I might even shoe horn a commute in there somewhere as active recovery). My theory with the hills is that by building my strength in the hills it will translate to speed on the flats. I plan to do three weeks of hills and one week of flats in each 4 week rotation. My thoughts here are that the flat will give me a gauge on progress and continue to work on my areo position and stamina on my TT bike.

2 – Run base.
                No secret that this needs the most work. Following on from the end of April the tri calendar comes to a close and the running focus begins…a happy coincidence. I will continue the two swims per week and plan to bring the ride back to twice per week. At that time I will then up the running focus to 3 – 4 per week. Tempo, strength, intervals and LSD. I really would like to take on the City to Surf marathon and in my mind this would be a good motivator for the run base through winter.

3 – Race specific training
                My first Ironman was done off the back of a shonky winter and with a three month build. I LOVED IT! I would like to go into this one better prepared. I am setting aside 4 months of race specific training. I suspect at this time it will be a more balanced approach to what I will have done over the previous 4 months. That is a little far away for even little old me to start planning…that said, we as a family have started talking about what we are going to do post race….

For now though I continue the exam cramming style approach to the race in three weeks time…


Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment