Friday 29 July 2016

Where is the love…

Well I have not really been feeling the blog love of late…ok I’ll admit it been patchy for a while.


I have found it a little difficult to find and keep my family, working, writing, training mojo of late. It is interesting, in a geeky nerdy way, the impact of a disrupted routine. I find some focus, cling to it passionately for a few days/week maybe and then loose it and hit the skids for a couple of days before finding a new “passion”….

I had extremely high hopes for this winter season post the completion of the Busselton 70.3 in May.

I pretty much signed up for a bunch of races as soon as they opened (HBF Half Marathon, Anchor leg of a Marathon Relay team (14km), City to Swan 14km) all in the lead up to what I wanted to be a solid showing in the City to Surf Marathon at the end of August.

I set myself a tough but achievable training schedule, had seen my nutritionist (this winter was going to be the banishment of that pesky extra weight I was trying to shake), consulted with my coach and was A for Away…

I have pretty much covered in previous weeks the events that then unfolded and to save on rehashing them again let’s just say that life is now starting to come back on track.

So what has transpired since last I typed…

My amazing wife has made a phenomenal recovery and whilst she can’t run is pretty much operating at full capacity again…she is even riding a bike with a little more enthusiasm as part of her recovery!! This is miraculous in itself as she usually lets the earth’s rotation propel her on the bike!

I have returned to running! I even managed to run in one of the 4 main events that I signed up for this season…the City 2 Swan 14km.
Little club representation there! 
I have been steadily building up my kms again, still with the focus that I will run in the marathon at the end of August…I fully expect it to hurt and not be pretty but I am determined to get out there and have a crack. Over the past 4 weeks I have managed to ramp up from nil to covering 110kms (bear in mind it has been progression work) with the longest being an 18km last weekend (14km City 2 Swan, then I ran back to the city…4kms).

I have managed to get back to the track and have completed 2 interval sessions and this weekend am planning a two hour run, taking on some of the hills of the C2S course. I have even gone and purchased some new runners…converted to the HOKAs and can say that after three runs in them (5km, 18km, 10km) I am pretty happy overall. I think my lower legs are still adjusting to them but they are comfortable and feel good for my running style.
So that’s about it…I have a little over a month left of the “running” season before we return to the triathlon training season and I plan on closing it out, hopefully, better then I started it. You never know, I may even get some of my writing mojo back in the meantime.


As ever, thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment