Monday 11 November 2013

Inspired and a little bit terrified of the challenge to come!

So on the weekend I took on my longest ride to date with a 50km ride to Mandurah to go and watch the Ironman 70.3 race that was on there.
Terenzo Bozzone (winner Mens) "flying" in his second lap of the run
(Look he is airborne!!!)
I can say that I was both inspired and terrified by what I watched. Maybe terrified is too strong a word to use but it was definitely a reality check. I mean I have been talking about the Ironman dream and the challenge that it is. I have read many peoples accounts of the training and the event day and loved every unique race recap but nothing compared to the reality of watching people going through the event (nothing, I am sure, other than actually competing!). I mean the reality of having swum 1.9kms then to drag yourself out of the water “hop” onto your bike to ride the 90kms to only then “jump” off and have 21kms to run through really dawned on me in all of its glory on the weekend. In a call home to my wife (letting her know that I had safely arrived in Mandurah) she made comment that I sounded “off” which my only response was that I was rather dumbstruck with the reality of the challenge to come.
Just a few swimmers coming through
Despite the sobering reality of the challenge faced by all of the amazing athletes out there competing the reason for the trip down there was several fold (great English there hey!)….

1)      See how I would go with a decent, sustained distance on the bike. 50kms 1:57 ish. The “ish” is because we stopped twice (no dramas more to check location and directions) and then once we were in the town we were told off for almost joining the cycle course…opps (I think about 7 mins worth of faffing around all up). So if I benchmark it the ride was a success and is a base to build on. Plus I now have an 80km course mapped out (40kms to the turn off for the town).
Nearly introduced to "the box" due to a wrong turn getting into town...
2)      Watch transitions. I was able, sort of from the fence line, to watch people move from the swim through transition…as a complete newbie to the tri world I found this interesting and think that I observed some good hints and tips to try in the future (eg small water tray to wash sand from feet before putting on the shoes).

3)      Get a gauge for the type and range of bikes in use. I don’t have squillions to spend on gear and wanted to get an idea of the range of kit out there in use…the word that comes to mind is varied! My current little road bike is way down at the bottom end of the spectrum and will need an upgrade and that is fine but she will do me proud for a few months worth of training yet.
 
Just a bike or two...

I was a bit bummed that the “Expo” was nothing more than a tent with some odds and ends. That and the fact that I had been paid and the cash was burning a hole in my pocket and I walked away empty handed (despite thinking that wearing IM branded gear pre IM would make me a poser)…next year when my name is on the roster I shall be there with a vengeance! Do they sell IM branded undies?? J

I am looking forward to the challenge and am feeling inspired as I type this for the adventure ahead. Effectively I have 12 months to get myself ready for my first Ironman foray. I fully plan on toeing the line at Mandurah 2014 (and have even this morning checked the webpage for registration!) as a fitter and healthier and capable person this time next year! Reality has set in and it is game on! 

The end goal....12 months and counting!
Thanks for reading and the adventure begins (well technically continues as I have been doing some training already)…

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the long ride and Thanks for following Daily Trainings!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. It was a start so I am looking forward on building from there. Thanks for the comment, stopping on by and following along on the journey...

      I am looking forward to watching/reading the advertures of the challenge between you and Brad...have you come up with a catchy campaign name yet??

      Delete