Wednesday 9 January 2013

4 Days to go till my first interstate run!!!

December 2nd was the last time I posted…my bad! Not sure where the time has gone between then and now but holy smokes it has flown by…

Firstly, I hope that any and all readers have had a fantastic Christmas period and all the very best for a safe and healthy New Year!

On to the update…

December running. I managed to clock up 98kms for the month which was really pleasing. The hard part was the weather over the Christmas period. Here in Perth (WA) the temps were in the mid to very high 30s with unseasonal humidity. All up it meant that running was very difficult because even at 6am it was around 28degrees.

The final Sunday of December I had planned on a 20k run. It was an out and back route that I have done before just needing to stretch myself and go 1km further out is all…well I totally psyched myself out for the run and before I had even reached the 10k mark I was running very low on water. In truth I didn’t hit the 10k turn point; I turned just around 9/9.5k. I was tottaly freaked at the lack of water (clearly the mind plays stupid tricks when attempting to scare yourself) and I was even thinking about scaling garden walls in search of hose pipes and taps…..sad hey! Well needless to say, I had a number of walks and ended up stopping at a petrol station to fill up my depleted water bottle and sulked the last 5kms home. Finished having run/walked/sulked/despised 18.8k at a 5:54 pace…horrible.

Sad part was that the next training run (a 10k on the Tuesday) felt equally horrible but was at a more respectable 5:25 pace. THEN……dan dan daaaaaaaaa….during the Thursday run I felt a little twinge and discomfort in my foot. Ran through it calling myself all sorts of names. By the time I got home it was sore and when I tried to go up onto tip toes I couldn’t. Well on the instruction advice of my darling wife I booked in and saw a physio. Well she is just the coolest lady on the planet and I am really pleased to have found her.

I explained the weight loss journey as well as the mini mid-life that i am attempting and explained that the first run (Hobart) was just over a week away…she explained that she was used to stubborn fools like me as she treats many triathletes and she would see what we could do. Lots of treatment, acupuncture and rock tape later I am feeling much better and have even managed to get out for a gentle 6km run that felt glorious! Strange part was running without my watch so I could not tell you the pace and the only reason I know the distance is it is an old familiar route (side note – am allowed to do it again gently tomorrow)….I have the all clear for the Hobart run on Sunday but also the instruction that I do not need to try to break any records and should be grateful to simply finish. I should expect to be sore once all is said and done but then look to take a couple of weeks off for recovery and then get back into it for Canberra in April….woooooo…..

Very excited! Very nervous! Looking forward to the trip and the challenge of my first ever interstate run! I will give a race recap once all is said and done and will even try to ensure that I get a couple of photos in there…

So December ended and January began on mix notes but the 2013 challenge has begun and I can’t wait to share the exploits over the coming months…overall the aim is to break 2hrs followed by 1:55, 1:50 and ultimately I would love to finish one in under 1:45 but we will see, there is A LOT of tarmac to travel before we get close to that.

Happy trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment